Vacuum in fuel tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum in fuel tank

So after taking the auld girl out "again" I noticed vacuum in the tank when removing the cap. I know some times there might be a little but assumed the vapour recovery system would equalise the pressure ?
    Not having the recovery system on any Cosworth ( cause I built them all) I have absolutely no experience with this system. Any info / advice would be greatly appreciated.
    sigpic

Sunnyside B&B and camper restorations
    www.sunnysidebb.co.uk

that's got me thinking now Frank as to what mine does, but IIRC on the daily that does at times depending on how little is in the tank. How much fuel did you have in it?

Comment

Isent the coalfilter inside the front wing up against a pillar? Atleast If remember correct thats where it should be oe, i havent on any of mine either, only straight out ventilation.. follow the breather pipe and se...
      ​​​​​​
      www.sapphirerscosworth.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Purnell View Post
        that's got me thinking now Frank as to what mine does, but IIRC on the daily that does at times depending on how little is in the tank. How much fuel did you have in it?
        sigpic

www.sunnysidebb.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by twin turbo View Post
          Isent the coalfilter inside the front wing up against a pillar? Atleast If remember correct thats where it should be oe, i havent on any of mine either, only straight out ventilation.. follow the breather pipe and se...
          ​​​​​​
          I think that's a good idea for mine too. Just remove the system if in deed I do have an issue. The system is that old now I wonder if it is still efficient any way ?
          sigpic

www.sunnysidebb.co.uk

Comment

my standard one does that when it's low on fuel, all the Fords that I've owned that were pre year 2000 have done it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon T View Post
              my standard one does that when it's low on fuel, all the Fords that I've owned that were pre year 2000 have done it too.

Thanks Simon, that helps relieve my concerns.
              My mate Chris from York also a member on here had a similar problem which caused the car to stop. The fuel tank had been sucked in.popped out when released the vac so no harm done. He's taking it to Paul's to be looked at. They suspect the breather system us blocked. I was worrying that might be an issue with mine but by the sounds of it , its normal.
              sigpic

www.sunnysidebb.co.uk

Comment

A few years ago a guy I know had his ecsort painted. when it had been put back together the rubber pipe coming from the carbon canister had been left dangling at the front of the wing, so when he was driving down a farm track with long grass the canister actually sucked the water off the grass which in turn filled the canister with water which caused such a vacuum in the tank it actually crushed the fuel pump pick up pipe. it literally was just like when you stamp on an old can.

Maybe check the canister and pipework to make sure everything is ok
                XYZ Fabrications
                Bespoke, custom and low batch quantity cnc profiling, engraving and fabriactions, 07917757695

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                  A few years ago a guy I know had his ecsort painted. when it had been put back together the rubber pipe coming from the carbon canister had been left dangling at the front of the wing, so when he was driving down a farm track with long grass the canister actually sucked the water off the grass which in turn filled the canister with water which caused such a vacuum in the tank it actually crushed the fuel pump pick up pipe. it literally was just like when you stamp on an old can.

Maybe check the canister and pipework to make sure everything is ok
                  Will do, thanks Dave.
                  sigpic

www.sunnysidebb.co.uk

Comment

Ive removed mine, we'll the pipework, I fitted a 1 way valve on the tank line

Comment

Originally posted by c20tbo View Post
                      Ive removed mine, we'll the pipework, I fitted a 1 way valve on the tank line
                      Thats a good idea fitting a one way valve . Where did you get the valve from?
                      sigpic

www.sunnysidebb.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnysidebb View Post

Thats a good idea fitting a one way valve . Where did you get the valve from?
                        Plenty on ebay Frank

Comment

Originally posted by c20tbo View Post

Plenty on ebay Frank
                          EBAY. lol never think about that. Will take a look. Cheers

edit: Just seen them around £5-£10 jobs a good one.
                          sigpic

www.sunnysidebb.co.uk

Comment

I did the same. Left fuel feed and return and blanked all vapour / vacum things like carbon canister, pipe inder the car and now I don't know should i fit one way valve before vapour thing or after it.

Comment

Working...
                            X