Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Cosworth 4x4 drive with no front shafts

Hi

Just curious will a cosworth 4x4 drive properly with no front shafts fitted?

I have no front shafts currently as I am having custom ones made, but while waiting a changed the gearbox and was checking over today and attempted to move the car back and forward out the garage to check clutch but I have no drive?

Is the to do with having no front shafts in or is this a clutch set up issue?

My Tilton concentric was set perfect before so don't see why it was need re adjusting for a new box?

Thanks
    Marc

I've moved mine slowly around a workshop with the rear prop disconnected, so it should move I'd have thought.

Comment

Does 4x4 not give it away? lol

Scouse.

Comment

sounds like your clutch or centre vc is broken, yes it will drive with no front shafts fitted, years ago on a trip to the ring my mate snapped a front shaft, removed it and drove home!

steve

NSSCC 2016 Class B1 Champion
        Mondeo 2.2 Titanium X sport daily driver, xr4x4 cosworth race car
        Matt lewis motorsport supporting my racing in 2016
        Reyland built, mapped by motorsport developments 455BHP
        http://www.mattlewismotorsport.co.uk/

Comment

Was clutch dragging

Did not push the Tilton cylinder back before re fitting to new box so it was fully out up against spring fingers

Box back out again tomorrow lol downside to having a concentric slave cylinder

Comment

Originally posted by M K View Post
            Was clutch dragging

Did not push the Tilton cylinder back before re fitting to new box so it was fully out up against spring fingers

Box back out again tomorrow lol downside to having a concentric slave cylinder
            The concentric should self retract when the box goes in.

The Ferguson center does not allow for drive without detrimental affects to the vc.

Comment

It definately won't drive properly. Whether it drives at all depends on how good the centre viscous LSD is. But by trying to drive it you will damage the centre viscous.

Driving a car with only one front drive shaft disconnected is not the same as with both shafts disconnected. If the car also has a front LSD driving it with a front drive shaft missing is better possible, but still not good for the centre and front LSD.

'90 Cosworth 4x4
              '91 2.9 24v RWD Ghia

Comment

I tried one time on the drive then left it and won't be trying till new longer front shafts come back, won't risk damaging the centre vc

Comment

Just to add for anyone else's information, regardless of the clutch when re set and bled the car would not drive with forward hardly at all with both front shafts out

Shafts back in and drives perfect

Comment

Working...
                  X