Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard transmission & Gear kits

Hello,
    1. What is the maximum torque our standard transmission can handle? I know that after a certain amount of torque are going broken!
    2. What are the alternatives? I have heard that some stronger gear kits are very noisy..
    I am talking for road car use & I don't want noises at all.
    What are you guys using? Any knowledge & experiences are more than welcome.

Thanks,
    George

"If in doubt, flat out" Colin McRae for ever..."

Mine made 388 ft/lb on the rolling road on standard transmission. It's still ok up till now!
    sigpic

Comment

I've used opligger big tooth kit and is only a little noisy but I had problems so went fix it as I was offerd that as a alternative and I'm well happy with it 3000 miles this year and I've. Give some serous shit at 450-500+bhp and its took it well does have a very slight radio controlled car sound though one thing I have to mention is all these big tooth kits in neutral sound like your thrust bearing is fucked on tickover until you press the clutch in personally I think fix it is the most road car friendly out there.

Comment

Originally posted by DAI COSSY View Post
        I've used opligger big tooth kit and is only a little noisy but I had problems so went fix it as I was offerd that as a alternative and I'm well happy with it 3000 miles this year and I've. Give some serous shit at 450-500+bhp and its took it well does have a very slight radio controlled car sound though one thing I have to mention is all these big tooth kits in neutral sound like your thrust bearing is fucked on tickover until you press the clutch in personally I think fix it is the most road car friendly out there.
        Thanks mate! If you have any suggestions let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by SAGO View Post
          Hello,
          1. What is the maximum torque our standard transmission can handle? I know that after a certain amount of torque are going broken!
          2. What are the alternatives? I have heard that some stronger gear kits are very noisy..
          I am talking for road car use & I don't want noises at all.
          What are you guys using? Any knowledge & experiences are more than welcome.

Thanks,
          George
          I think its going to depend on what you want from it mate tbh, I personally think your asking for trouble at around 380-400 hp on standard transmission, but a little mechanical sympathy goes a long way.
          So, if you want something for road you'll probably want a semi helix kit, so that probably narrows down the choice a little.
          If you want a kit thats good for 450-500hp the quaife big tooth kit is reliable, feels like standard to use, and really only whines a little in first gear, on the move you dont notice it at all, plus if something breaks the parts are easy to get, so may be worth consideration, the other two I know of have already been mentioned.

Comment

I've the quaife big tooth kit and can confirm other than a slight whine it's no louder than a standard box.

Comment

Originally posted by 1TJH View Post
              I think its going to depend on what you want from it mate tbh, I personally think your asking for trouble at around 380-400 hp on standard transmission, but a little mechanical sympathy goes a long way.
              So, if you want something for road you'll probably want a semi helix kit, so that probably narrows down the choice a little.
              If you want a kit thats good for 450-500hp the quaife big tooth kit is reliable, feels like standard to use, and really only whines a little in first gear, on the move you dont notice it at all, plus if something breaks the parts are easy to get, so may be worth consideration, the other two I know of have already been mentioned.
              Originally posted by stecozz View Post
              I've the quaife big tooth kit and can confirm other than a slight whine it's no louder than a standard box.
              Thanks a lot guys! That really helped.
              I wil contact Quaife for more details.

Comment

wasent it some problem With the quife kits? have heard that they are much weaker then other?

but a straight cut is stronger, since problem is that the housing flex, and this is not that big problem With straight cut, but allot of noice.

the oppliger kit should be good, but dont remember who make them for him, to get them Direct.
                another option, good price...
                http://www.sqsracing.com/kategorie-p...racing-gearbox
                www.sapphirerscosworth.com

Comment

All so heard the same about Quaife not being that strong and to avoid !! I have a Fixit box and that is quite and great for a road car, although I have broke mine , the Oppliger boxes are supposed to be good and would be great to find out who makes the kit, there are vids on YouTube with these being used, never heard of any of these breaking. next is bara but think a few had probs with main shaft breaking ? Pete Doughty boxes are very strong but very cry noisey so suppose you pay your money ant take your chance
                  sigpic
                  MAD tuned, DP engine, 530 bhp 480 lbft, autronics, anti lag, EFR 7670,

Comment

fixit have 2 diffrent kits, the gen 1 and gen 2, gen 2 be more roadfriendly, but think gen 1 was stronger, but made more noise
                    www.sapphirerscosworth.com

Comment

Originally posted by Cossie col View Post
                      All so heard the same about Quaife not being that strong and to avoid !! I have a Fixit box and that is quite and great for a road car, although I have broke mine , the Oppliger boxes are supposed to be good and would be great to find out who makes the kit, there are vids on YouTube with these being used, never heard of any of these breaking. next is bara but think a few had probs with main shaft breaking ? Pete Doughty boxes are very strong but very cry noisey so suppose you pay your money ant take your chance
                      Anything can break, the cars I know of that have used quaife have coped fine around the 450hp mark, the problem is with rumours you don't know the exact details.
                      I've not heard much good from fixit boxes, and I know trying to get them fixed was always horrendous, but that may have changed, personally speaking I wouldn't want a straight cut box in a road car.
                      I've no experience with oppiliger, so can't comment.

Comment

I've run a quaife big tooth kit in mine with no problems , it is a road car but I'm not shy when I do track days with it , not let me down yet ,
                        Cheers chris
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1TJH View Post
                          Anything can break, the cars I know of that have used quaife have coped fine around the 450hp mark, the problem is with rumours you don't know the exact details.
                          I've not heard much good from fixit boxes, and I know trying to get them fixed was always horrendous, but that may have changed, personally speaking I wouldn't want a straight cut box in a road car.
                          I've no experience with oppiliger, so can't comment.
                          Im on a pd straight cut box and its great and its a road car
                          sigpic

Built by my self dp motorsport 700.6bhp 520ftlb efr9180 2.4bar m.a.d mapped flat out is the only way

Comment

I'm running a Quaife group N gear box. My standard box started giving trouble at about 400lb/ft. The group N box has so far been really good and I've not had any issues. It does however wine a little but not as bad as a full group A one.

Comment

All fixit kit, have 20 degree cut

Comment

Working...
                              X