• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Group a shells have a plate on the slam panel that declare Gruppe A LHD

Comment

Originally posted by wrcjim View Post

The difference is immense.
      the shells was taken from the production line part finished, the shell you see was done for the work teams to be used for group a, not group n. Group n had all the fixtures in. Motorsport spec.

the shell is pressed from 0.7mm steel. There is no brackets/threads in the shell to mount front or rear cross members in. So shelling your car road simply wouldn’t work.

Rear cross member in the shell where the rear diff mount fits is pop-riveted in. This was removed during the build to insert the bosses for the group a rear diff mount.

Rear beam mounts modified for side exhaust clearance. No stiffners fitted on the rear tubs, all seams ground back to reduce weight. Only threads in the shell are for door check straps and steering column.

so there you go, works spec shells.
      Motorsport shells as most people are aware of was used for converting sierras and group n self build cars.

Regards
      jim
      Thanks very much, i love the wealth of knowledge on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark-C View Post
        So is this a 909 shell
        Yes this is a 909 shell, built for the factory team.
        sigpic
        JD Rallysport

Comment

Body tag off the the shell. No 909 though.
          i think these shells was illegal, as am sure they wasn’t aloud to do thin gauge steel panels.
          Attached Files
          sigpic
          JD Rallysport

Comment

My genuine grpa saph has not 909 number either, but ms number similar to yours there stamped in floor where vin normaly is on roadcar. Not sure but think the 909 code was a finis code on "prepped" shell when desided what spec IT had.

Interesting what you say about thinner steel, i have always been told its a myte( all the way back to 3doors) by most, but a few says a few was made, but as you say they where illigal...

I havent messure mine, so dont know if its thinner. Bodypanels on Fords is normaly 0,7-0,8mm on most "none frame" and 1-1,2mm on "frameparts" and strenghtnings.

I talked with the man that first had my car, and he told me that these cars was not made with same steel as roadcars, this info he got when he ordered car trough GSE and Ford motorsport at boreham.
            www.sapphirerscosworth.com

Comment

Originally posted by twin turbo View Post
              My genuine grpa saph has not 909 number either, but ms number similar to yours there stamped in floor where vin normaly is on roadcar. Not sure but think the 909 code was a finis code on "prepped" shell when desided what spec IT had.

Interesting what you say about thinner steel, i have always been told its a myte( all the way back to 3doors) by most, but a few says a few was made, but as you say they where illigal...

I havent messure mine, so dont know if its thinner. Bodypanels on Fords is normaly 0,7-0,8mm on most "none frame" and 1-1,2mm on "frameparts" and strenghtnings.

I talked with the man that first had my car, and he told me that these cars was not made with same steel as roadcars, this info he got when he ordered car trough GSE and Ford motorsport at boreham.

We fitted a motorsport 1/4 panel to the group a car that Ken Block now has, (that been a lightweight shell) the panel we found had a WR******** number in it and was in black primer with no brackets or lamp panel. We measured that @ 0.7mm. We had a pair of road going 1/4s that came in @ 1.0mm

we have pentti arrikkolas Group a q8 Sierra sapphire, though this has std gauge panels. This was before they was concerned on weight I think
              Last edited by wrcjim; 14-10-2017, 14:05:42.
              sigpic
              JD Rallysport

Comment

1,4mm sounds very much... I work with bodypanels daily, and 1,4mm is thick, dont think i ever seen a that thick panel, other then on framebits... Back in the days "we" Said 0,8mm on europe cars, 0,6mm on japanese, was "normal"...

Comment

German steel, that’s std road car cozzehs.
                  ford had to get the weight down to keep up with Subaru and keep competitive
                  sigpic
                  JD Rallysport

Comment

I will try to messure my saph... But Noway its 1.4 on panels... When we bought sheetmetal to do repairs with on any cars, we got 0,6 0,8 and "massive thick" 1,2mm sheets to match original thickness. I having a very big problem beliving escos panels Are 1.4

Comment

I will try to messure my saph... But Noway its 1.4 on panels... When we bought sheetmetal to do repairs with on any cars, we got 0,6 0,8 and "massive thick" 1,2mm sheets to match original thickness. I having a very big problem beliving escos panels Are 1.4
                      Sorry my mistake 1.0mm for road cars
                      sigpic
                      JD Rallysport

Comment

Group a/wrc panel that we fitted, here’s the numbers
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic
                        JD Rallysport

Comment

I can belive that i was sure they was 0,8 like other, but havent checked on a escos, so thats possible

Comment

I can belive that i was sure they was 0,8 like other, but havent checked on a escos, so thats possible
                            Just measured both off cuts. Motorsport one and std was 7 years ago lol
                            sigpic
                            JD Rallysport

Comment

Me and my mate were on the rac rally on the stage Penti smashed up his works Cozzeh ,he ran down to see it but I didn't want too ,he retired after that and took up left foot braking school

Comment

Originally posted by COZZFATHER View Post
                                Me and my mate were on the rac rally on the stage Penti smashed up his works Cozzeh ,he ran down to see it but I didn't want too ,he retired after that and took up left foot braking school
                                think this was it. Was in dalby??
                                Attached Files
                                sigpic
                                JD Rallysport

Comment

Working...
                                X