X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Ford techs on here?

Any Ford techs frequent here now?

Got a Focus 2.0tdci Titanium on a 58 plate, bad running. Problems are:

Hard to start when cold, when it initially fires up it runs very badly and chucks a load of blue/grey smoke out for 6 to 10 seconds.
    Has a light misfire between 1,500 and 1,800rpm when on very light throttle at all temperatures
    Slight misfire at idle
    Poor fuel consumption when used locally, does high 40's on a run.
    Some evidence of black smoke under load like up hill.
    Very small particles of gold coloured swarf (smaller than sugar grains), a very small amount, in the bowl that holds the fuel filter.

Oddly the performance is fine, it pulls well on anything above 1/4qtr throttle in any gear.

So far it's had:

Battery and glow plugs checked - all fine.
    Terraclean run though.
    Leak back test done - all fine.
    Fresh fuel filter although the old one had only done 3k.
    Injectors checked - 2 were bad, so replaced 2 and re-coded. Unfortunately one of these was giving odd live readings when it went back in after 200 miles, so awaiting a replacement although the garage don't anticipate it sorting the issue - they are concerned that something is damaging the injectors, will know on this tomorrow.

It's having a hot and cold compression test tomorrow.

I'm up to £800 so far, and next step is a replacement high pressure pump which i'm led to believe will be another £800 plus. Before I give the go ahead to sort the pump has anyone else had one of these play up like this? It's done 107k which is nothing for one of these.

Car is only worth a couple of grand, but it has a really high spec and I can't find anything to replace it with that has the same spec but at the same time not looking forward to spending the value of the car to get it sorted.

Totally pi$$ed off with it, our BMW cost me £450 last week too and to top it off our central heating boiler is playing up - been an expensive 2 weeks, looks like it'll continue.

What year is it?

Comment

Could be egr fault

Comment

2008 mate, can't see how a stuck egr would cause it although will mention it again - it's been off once and it's clean inside plus there are no fault codes at all in the ECU, the only way they found the dodgy injectors was via live readings where two were static and the other two were all over the place.

Comment

If egr valve dosen`t Close like it should, you can get start problem, another thing is that between 1500-2000rpm, you are in the work area for egr. As you got an euro4 engine, you can blend it without engine failure lights on. We also use datalogg on to check injectors. Partickels in the fuel filter is normal

Comment

Originally posted by grcossie View Post
            As you got an euro4 engine, you can blend it without engine failure lights on.
            What do you mean by blend it?

Originally posted by grcossie View Post
            We also use datalogg on to check injectors. Partickels in the fuel filter is normal
            The datalog showed the initial injector fault. I'm surprised at that about the particles, they aren't in the filter - they're in the housing.

Appreciate your time replying to this.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon T View Post

What do you mean by blend it?

The datalog showed the initial injector fault. I'm surprised at that about the particles, they aren't in the filter - they're in the housing.

Appreciate your time replying to this.
              Block the egr, so you don`t get the exhaust in the inlet. Egr are one of the biggest problem maker we have these days. Does the datalog show the same now on injector? We always see some particles in the bottom of filter house when changing filter

Comment

I’m a Peugeot tech and they use the same engine and to be fair the egr valves are the biggest problem . I’d blank offthe egr valve where it goes into the inlet manifold but you should be able to hear the egr do a learn cycle when turning off the engine and putting the engine on before cranking

Comment

Thanks guys, will get them to check that again. I'm still concerned about the gold coloured particles in the filter housing, I'd assume that is something wearing in the pump?

Comment

Originally posted by Broadstripe View Post
                    I’m a Peugeot tech and they use the same engine and to be fair the egr valves are the biggest problem . I’d blank offthe egr valve where it goes into the inlet manifold but you should be able to hear the egr do a learn cycle when turning off the engine and putting the engine on before cranking
                    That cycle when turning of, is a self clean cycle but it`s not ceep it clean anyway
                    I`m a Ford Tech. We thoose particels on brand new cars aswell, probably from the pump, but it`s not often the pumps fails. I have work for Ford since 95 long before common rail, and newer stuff, but only changed one pump on the psa engines

Comment

*note* ford Peugeot engines are wank ..that's why I'm all german & jap these days
                      ​​​​​i bet it's got wank injectors and the replacement are even wanker

Comment

Thanks Gents.

grcossie, will mention this and know more later.

Comment

Working...
                        X