power steering problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power steering problem

well went to take the cosy out and low and behold she has a problem NO POWER steering ?? ( it all worked fine a year ago when I put her in the garage
    ok now to find out whats going on rung round a couple of places they all said the same'' STEERING PUMP ??

managed to get hold of recon steering pump put it on and bang the pump drops its guts all over my garage floor F...ed
    right now to get a secound one ??

got hold of second one put it on well the noise it was making it drowned the wifes nagging out ( result ) lol of it comes onto the third one ??

put it on quiet as a mouse but still hard steering I'm being told it must be the RACK ??

so what I'm after is a steering rack and pump can anybody help

thanks

You can recondition the racks, the seal kits are available on Ebay. I suspect that if it was working when it was put away it will just be one of the seals gone.

Comment

just for info did you purged the system from air...i am asking as this happened to me..

Comment

The std pumps are poor by todays standards anyway in hydraulic pressure. I upped mine from the standard 75bar iirc to 125bar.

Comment

hi could you point me to were on ebay I can get a seal kit I cant find them .

I did purge all the pump installs
          the one I have on there come of a cosy which I know had no faults
          worked for 10 mins then stopped working

Comment

When mine went I got it reconditioned through a local motor factors, they sent it away and I got the same rack back.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by markk View Post
              The std pumps are poor by todays standards anyway in hydraulic pressure. I upped mine from the standard 75bar iirc to 125bar.
              Markk, how did you increase the pressure and what's the steering effort like after? I've been considering this for the past year, and my rack in on its way back from being recondition so a good time to do some more upgrades.
              “The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
              ― Muhammad Ali

Comment

I'm interested in this too, as last time mine was running the power steering wasn't working.
                Cheers
                Trev.

Comment

Fit a newer pump from a different model. The MPC pump was 150 bar iirc from memory on the WRC.

Comment

Do you mind telling us what year and model you got the new pump from?
                    “The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
                    ― Muhammad Ali

Comment

To be honest I cannot remember. i think it was something VW group.

Comment

all sorted
                        had one of three pumps serviced as well as the steering rack then get a call of the repair guy and he said the rack was knackered ( hold on I know one of them was knackered but did not know was it the pump or
                        the rack ??? ok so you have serviced the pump and that's all ok yes '' yes so the rack is knackered yes '' yes he said SO F''''ING MEND IT that's what its with you for ..
                        my confidents has gone with him now so I said leave the rack ill get a new one .
                        so made a couple of calls got hold of a second hand rack left on the pump that was already on there when I lost steering and ITS ALL WORKING fine so I had a pump serviced and did not even use it but at least I have a spare..

Comment

Working...
                        X