Front prop difficult to turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front prop difficult to turn

Just had a couple of hours working on the car, fitted the R&D front diff and gearbox but I couldn't get the prop in. I had to slacken the bellhousing bolts to get the prop on then once it was all bolted up tight the whole lot is very tight to turn by hand, I can only just about do it.

Now the diff can't be out of place, the sandwich plate between the box/engine is in and both flanges are clean, I made sure they weren't painted.

It's been a long time since I saw this lot in one piece so I can't remember how tight it should be, should I be able to remove the prop with the gearbox fully bolted up? What I'm trying to say is when the 4 bolts are off can it slide back slightly to drop out? I'm sure it shouldn't be this tight but I'm struggling to see why.

Should be "loose" yes... maybe the flange on diff is abit to long back?
    www.sapphirerscosworth.com

Comment

Possibly but I'm not sure how, the diff came off Gaz's car before he broke it and was all working OK. I will have to do a bit more investigating when I get a chance.

Comment

I havent seen on a r&d, but original you can move the prop just enough to get it out when all rest is bolted togheter.
        www.sapphirerscosworth.com

Comment

Yea, I thought I was remembering it right, It's a good few years since I stripped it so wasn't sure.

Comment

Working...
          X