Ethanol in fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethanol in fuel

I saw a motorcycle mechanic i know yesterday and he told me how bad this stuff is in fuel, the lack of power it produces and how it attracts water to it and heres the astonishing bit, it rots more or less everything it comes in contact with and they are now putting it in super unleaded. He showed me some carbs it has destroyed and some tanks it has rotted and said anything over 15 years old is not designed for this menace, this now explains why my mates Ducati which was left for a period had to have a new tank as it had rotted through and the bike was only 5 years old and was a 2011! I have since read up on ethanol and it really is not good news for older vehicles and can cause all sorts of serious problems and they are now increasing the amounts they are putting in which America are already doing, remember the yanks were using unleaded a good decade before us so you can see where this is going

Restored a few high end triumphs (road car) fitting triple Weber carbs and rubber fuel hose with steel overbraid. All brand new builds..... two three years later the customer was getting his car out for summer and pissing fuel out through the steel braid. Rotted fuel hose.
    And
    Just changed all the fuels lines lines on a Cosworth recce car for same issues.

Have heard of stories with old 80s motorbikes with the plastic /grp type tanks having issues with them too.

Really not good stuff
    sigpic
    JD Rallysport

Comment

Other countries have different fuel specs to UK, not heard of spec change for ethanol in UK R bob blends but can find tommorow night if of interest

Comment

Sorry to add only spec change is usually inter/winter from summer spec, think more butane is added to aid cold start

Comment

Very usual here in Sweden to go To E85 85%Etanol 15% gasoline on big Power cars… its a Free 100hp+
          sigpic

Comment

Like most, IT has advantages, but Also problems yes...
            www.sapphirerscosworth.com

Comment

There are rubber hoses for ethanol blend fuel for inside or outside fuel tanks.

Braided hoses need to be teflon, the rubber versions are not good enough.
              Cheers
              John

EsCos - Turning dinosaurs into smiles.

Comment

Originally posted by markie t View Post
                they are now increasing the amounts they are putting in which America are already doing, remember the yanks were using unleaded a good decade before us so you can see where this is going
                yes, actually in america you can easily find E85, but i guess the most advanced in this is Brazil.

Another funny stuff that i saw running around the world is that the RON we are use to have in Europe are not the same at all,
                at least in italy, like in europe as well, we are running with 95ron and then 98/100ron

in Egypt and as well in China i saw fuel station with 89ron or 91ron and still saw car like subaru, which from the factory they suggest running with 98ron.
                just wondering if there are different coding on type of fuel

Comment

Originally posted by Santu View Post

yes, actually in america you can easily find E85, but i guess the most advanced in this is Brazil.

Another funny stuff that i saw running around the world is that the RON we are use to have in Europe are not the same at all,
                  at least in italy, like in europe as well, we are running with 95ron and then 98/100ron

in Egypt and as well in China i saw fuel station with 89ron or 91ron and still saw car like subaru, which from the factory they suggest running with 98ron.
                  just wondering if there are different coding on type of fuel
                  Diffrent yes, its same fuel, but graded with diffrent metode so Are you sure IT was RON?
                  Basicly
                  USA (AKI/PON) --- Europe (RON)

87 = 91
                  89 = 93
                  91 = 95
                  93 = 98
                  www.sapphirerscosworth.com

Comment

Originally posted by twin turbo View Post

Diffrent yes, its same fuel, but graded with diffrent metode so Are you sure IT was RON?
                    Basicly
                    USA (AKI/PON) --- Europe (RON)

87 = 91
                    89 = 93
                    91 = 95
                    93 = 98
                    in USA i am sure the grade is the one you are mentioning, not sure about the one used in middle east or far east.
                    in Philippines for sure they use the european grades, normally i always make fuel with Petron Blaze100.

Comment

Thats the reason for oktan adjuster plugg you got on older Fords, also Cosworth. For fuel with ron lower then 95

Comment

The US uses the (R+M/)2 method also called the anti-knock index (AKI) Basically, it is the average of two measurements one of which is RON. This results in a lower octane rating for the gasoline than you find in the UK for the same stuff.

Comment

Working...
                        X