Ignition live to starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition live to starter

Hello, after a few months in the garage (t35), it seems that I have some problem in the start up. Last time the car started well. I thought it was the battery, but have12.5V.
    The starter makes noise, movement perhaps slow, but does not hook the flywheel. the battery cable in the starter has 12V in position III and turning the key 10V/9.5V. The ignition cable on the starter, has 0V in position III, and turning the key has 4V/5V. It seems that I can have the problem in the ignition cable? good battery volts, bad amps in the batery?

Many Thanks!

just because the battery is showing good voltage doesnt mean it has good cranking power,mine seemed ok a while back but wouldnt start the car, when i measured it whilst cranking it dropped down to about 3 or 4 volts so was knackered

Comment

Thanks for reply! I discarded the battery for having good volts. When I try to start it, it goes down to 10V. The measurement that I do not understand is the 4V measurement on the starter ignition wire. Without strength. As you say I also think about the amps of the battery. Maybe I can think of a fuse too?

Comment

Is there a relay on the main fuse box for the starter motor?
        Cheers
        John

EsCos - Turning dinosaurs into smiles.

Comment

Fuse Box;
          R26 - Black Relay - Steering column Lock / Ignition Switch.

Comment

Relays

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for this. Can this relay affect the ignition live to starter?
              The lock in the steering is ok.

Comment

It could do, or perhaps even a faulty fuse box.
                but at first I would suggest you try a new Battery or ensure your Battery is full charged and capable of cranking the engine

could it also be your Alarm / Immobilizer causing it not to start?

Comment

Yes, the battery is full charged. But 5/6 years old, maybe it could be broken. How could I check the alarm? Thanks!!

Comment

Does it click when you turn the key..if so battery is for sure for replacement...

Comment

When I turn the key, doesn’t it click. The starter makes a spinning noyse. The Bendix doesn’t come out....

Comment

Originally posted by Villacas View Post
                        The starter makes a spinning noyse. The Bendix doesn’t come out....
                        Sounds like it has seized up.

You could jumper from the battery to the starter solenoid direct to rule out alarm, relay, fuse box or wiring issues.
                        Cheers
                        John

Comment

Jumper from the battery direct to the starter, and nothing. The starter makes the spinning noyse. The Bendix doesn’t come out....

The same feeling as with the ignition cable. Perhaps with the direct cable I have perceived more strength in the movement of the starter...

Battery? Starter? Any ideas? Thanks!

Cheers!

Comment

Bendix is bad. You can try wacking it with a hammer to free it up, but probably better to have it rebuilt.

Comment

As above, sounds like starter.
                              Cheers
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X