Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sideskirts fitting

Hi again

i must refit my sideskirts and am wondering if there should be some type of tape or foam along the edge that is in contact with the paintwork? Along the top of the cull mainly?

thanks

Not sure but mine needs doing as well if I can get a fitting kit still.
    PSN Ecossy93

Visit Jensen's Toys & Gifts Website
    http://jensenhullbmx.weebly.com/

Comment

Just the fittings no tape/foam

Comment

i would highly recommend out of personal experience that you either tape or use sikiflex, mine had tape from factory the plastic fixings are shit, break at the drop of a hat and will not hold the skirt close to the body, i tried several methods but ended up using the clips along with sealant sparingly on the edge making sure it was not visible, very tricky to get right, i used masking tape to ensure the selant did not go on the body and masking tape to help close the gap to the body left it overnight perfect. I did try tape several different types but i could not find anything that would give good adhesion, thats my experience of fitting the side skirts.

Comment

Originally posted by Darrenaf View Post
          i would highly recommend out of personal experience that you either tape or use sikiflex, mine had tape from factory the plastic fixings are shit, break at the drop of a hat and will not hold the skirt close to the body, i tried several methods but ended up using the clips along with sealant sparingly on the edge making sure it was not visible, very tricky to get right, i used masking tape to ensure the selant did not go on the body and masking tape to help close the gap to the body left it overnight perfect. I did try tape several different types but i could not find anything that would give good adhesion, thats my experience of fitting the side skirts.
          I had no problem fitting mine many years ago but now need to renew the rear clips
          how would you get them off in the future if you glue them? ?

Comment

Originally posted by Wing Commander View Post

I had no problem fitting mine many years ago but now need to renew the rear clips
            how would you get them off in the future if you glue them? ?
            I cannot really answer that, my own experience on my car i will have no need to ever remove them, if you had glued it maybe the rear clips wouldn't need replacing, All i know is when mine came off and bare in mind i'm only the second owner and i aquired my car when it was 2 years old there was double sided tape as well as the clips, these were hand built cars and mines an early car so maybe they were trying different ways of fixing them, works for me though.

Comment

Because there is two diff clip shapes that hold the sideskirts on ,,and the two clips that are hard to get hold of , are the ones that hold the rear section on the rear quarter , if you fit the wrong clips there im sure it pushes sideskirt out leaving a bigger gap than you should have ,,,
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Darrenaf View Post

I cannot really answer that, my own experience on my car i will have no need to ever remove them, if you had glued it maybe the rear clips wouldn't need replacing, All i know is when mine came off and bare in mind i'm only the second owner and i aquired my car when it was 2 years old there was double sided tape as well as the clips, these were hand built cars and mines an early car so maybe they were trying different ways of fixing them, works for me though.
                As mentioned above you might have the wrong clips if you are struggling. The ones under the doors are subtly different to the ones on the rear quarter panels
                I have owned my car since 1996 and the last time I removed them I must have been more careful or it was a warmer day and everything was newer and more forgiving! The proper clips are available 3D printed

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, I was just going to put tape of some sort to stop them rubbing off the paintwork. thought the clips and bolts underneath would hold them on.

i bought a clip on this forum as part of group buy ( prob 8 or 9 years ago)from car parts express but all the clips look the same? Do I need to get the rear ones? Think the clips I took off were all the same too?

Comment

Clips are all the same mate

Comment

Cheers thanks Joe

Comment

I am sorry if I got the information wrong but I am reliably informed that the rear clip is on the left of the image

Comment

yes the rear clips are slightly different to give better support to the top edge of skirt

Comment

Sorry, here goes
                            Attached Files

Comment

i knew there were 2 different types of clip, but mine still had tape fitted, i designed one of the 3d models for the 3d printing.

Comment

Working...
                              X