Fuel tank sucked in!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel tank sucked in!

Hi again. Another question to you helpful people.
    While i was sorting the camber issue i realised the fuel tank was not sitting on the straps. It has sucked in 4 to 5 inches from the straps. I removed the petrol cap and released some vacuum. Its still off the straps,Im sure the plastic will eventually return to original position now the vacuum has been released!
    Is this normal? If not, why has the tank sucked in??

Tank breather blocked
    www.sapphirerscosworth.com

Comment

Think you have the tank breather piped up wrong your engine when running is sucking the air out of the tank happened to my mates on the day of the cos factory tour we ended up goin in my focus rs, it sucked it in about the same as yours and it bent the fuel pump and sender aswell so I’d check yours pal

Comment

I had this problem on my Astra get years ago had toget a new tank had a blocked breather

Comment

The breather system has been altered.
          Attached Files

Comment

On above..... From the tank to t piece 73 is as diagram. But The pipe is capped off at (18) after 15.
            I cant see where pipe 67 goes above gearbox along bulkhead.

Comment

Pipe 67 goes across the bulhead into the drivers side wing cavity, (if right hand drive). The charcoal canister lives there.

Item 15 is the purge solenoid, this pipe should be connected to the inlet plenum as the breather purge from the tank and charcoal canister.

It was an emissions thing back in the day, I have removed all of this on mine, as have many others, and just run a vent line with roll over valve on the tank breather now.

Comment

So what do i remove from the car? Please explain.

Comment

Originally posted by ltr View Post
                  So what do i remove from the car? Please explain.
                  rip all that crap out and just fit a vent valve off the tank hose

Comment

Put a vent hose or one way valve on the bulkhead end of pipe 66 instead of t piece? And remove the rest! Would that do it.

Comment

I wouldn't vent in the engine bay.

Best place is around the petrol tank itself.

It will mean droping the petrol tank to find the vent pipe 14 on the picture. Replace that with a new pipe and put a one way vent valve, or roll over valve on the other end of it and secure it out of the way.

You can then remove everything else from the car if you wish including pipe 66 forwards, or just leave it disconnected and capped of at 18 as it will be all redundant now

Comment

Many thanks. What type valve. Do you have a link to a picture of what i need?

Comment

I have on like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8mm-Barbe...MAAMXQmUpR6SmA

You can make a bracket to secure it on the threaded with a AN6 lock nut.

Comment

Isn’t the easiest way just to disconnect the pipe from a valve under the rear arch?
                            That way it still breaths, keeps roll valve and it doesn’t go to the engine...

Comment

Forgot about that one, mine was knackered so had to replace with the above.

Comment

Working...
                              X