How Can You Encourage Your Kids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Can You Encourage Your Kids?

My son did his homework on Columbia yesterday and I said he could use my IPad. He researched everything online, I showed him how to take screen shots and use Photoshop app to crop and rotate the images, then he put the images into his homework in the Pages app. I was actually shocked on how well it's come out for a 10 year old.

The thing is I think he has a knack for doing this sort of stuff and want to encourage him, but I'm not sure how to go about it? He has a Windows PC at home that he shares with his sister (So he hardly uses it) and I doubt it has any decent software on it. So I'm thinking of getting him a Mac or IPad form XMas when my RS Turbo sells I can pay for it, but I know people will say "His only 10 why does he Need that?" or think I'm made of money, which I'm not but my son's learning is a priority I think.

How else could I encourage him without spending all that money and making him look spoilt or me rich or would it be a good idea for an iPad with software (Cheap) to do his homework, etc? He can download the app about stars, languages, etc to further his education elsewhere.

I've always bought him toys, games consoles, etc but I think an iPad would really help him?

FletchCossie Sponsors Motoring On Dave

first off steve. dont give a fuck what ANYONE else thinks.if you think you should get him started then buy him it,i coudnt care less what jealous people think!
    sigpic

guns for show,knives for a pro

Comment

That's a good bit of encouragement, thanks Neil I just need to work out if it's a good idea or am I just getting into one of my "Must have" moments. Is there another ways to encourage him?

Comment

How else could I encourage him without spending all that money and making him look spoilt or me rich
        I agree with bullet but i know what you are saying.

Maybe a Laptop? Some good laptops about less than £450

Comment

Thanks mate, but since i changed to Mac i wouldn't go near a Windows PC iPad is best all round and with the new ios 4.2 coming so you can print from apps I think it would be a great help doing his homework. A Pc is too big and cumbersome to just get out and start using, etc i think. I use my MacBook all the time, but the iPad is so much easier to move about and lighter

iPad has cheap apps too like word documents, etc and spread sheets are 2 apps for £12 instead of MS Office for £50+ they work very well for basics like what he will need to do. Then the option of other apps as i stated above I think would be beneficial? And it has some very good game apps

Comment

My eldest lad (22) has just started college, he also works, doing panel beating and paint spraying. Not a profession he has ever mentioned of doing before, but he's making a go of it and I try and help (money wise ) as much as I can

Fletch, just remember that even though you encourage him he may not want to do it later on in his life..........................so don't get disappointed if he doesn't!! He may end up a hair-dresser

Scouse.
            aka "the wise one"!!

Comment

you are completely right mate. I went to College under my Dad's and ex girlfriends advice to do computing. I wanted to do mechanics, but was told money is in computing. Now I'm ok at computing, basic stuff and fucking regret wasting a year of my life at college when I could of done what I wanted

I'm only trying to encourage what i see he appears to have a knack for, but will always encourage what he wants to do. He has asked me to show him mechanics, but he gets bored very quickly with it, so im pretty sure he won't go down that route. He spent 3.5 hours doing homework, researching, etc yesterday and seemed to really enjoy doing it, hence I wanna encourage him further. He cant use my iPad all the time, so having his own at home would help I think?

I was never encouraged when I was younger, always followed what my brother's were doing or being told what I wanted as "It was good and you will like it" hence I buy myself so much stuff I want now as i never was able to. I don't want my son just getting older like I have and want to guide him down whichever route he takes no matter the cost and how long he does it for!

Comment

Think thats a nice idea

Same goes with all computers though you dont want him on there 24/7 so possibly limit the use and just make sure it stays in the house and not infront of the rest of the school in the playground

Comment

He wouldn't be allowed it out the house unless coming over to me. It would get stolen in 30seconds my main fear is it being damaged as there is nothing protecting the screen, except a case. I wouldn't want him on it all the time; but some of the game apps are making him use his brain. His playing one now which you have to put different shapes into a big shape, bit like a kids game, but much harder I'm watching him work it out

Thanks for he input if I can find the cash he can have one for XMas and his Birthday in January combined just gotta make some cash now

Comment

Originally posted by FletchCossie View Post

I was never encouraged when I was younger,

Ditto,

My Dad was a mechanic too, but a welder by trade and a bloody good one. I never got any encouragement of either of them (that's why I do so much with my kids) so ended up joining the Army in the REME as a tank mechanic.

Good luck to your little one and these days technology should be encouraged no matter what age as it's moving so fast. I'm lucky, as I was self taught with computers and wireless technology etc. but the kids these days think nothing but the norm when it comes to broadband, internet iPads etc!!

Have you seen some of them on MW2, take the pi$$ out of me!!

Scouse.

Comment

I hate the 12 year olds that slaughter me on MW2. My son kicked my arse 3-0 on Fifa 11 earlier

I think kids need as much encouragement as possible

Comment

steve go for it mate I can't keep my kids off the laptop. the eldest who's 9 is always doing PowerPoint presentations. I know you don't like Microsoft etc... but most of the schools have them so it may be wise to keep with windows to help him further himself whilst at school

Comment

If it's helping him with his education then I can't see the problem.

Apple do "education discounts" too.

Comment

Ben, My son's been on the IPad most of today. Ive got Pages and Numbers which are the Apple equilivent of Word and Excel. Very similiar, but easier to use Will see if there is a Powerpoint one also, but good point in its what schools use.

Si, forgot about the educational discount. Probably won't be on IPads tho

Comment

which ever you go for will help him and I'm sure will be very much appreciated, have you tried OpenOffice as i think that contains all microsoft type apps

Comment

Working...
                              X