Diff info and rear hub advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diff info and rear hub advice

What does a traction lock diff drive like? Im fitting a mustang diff in my car and its got one as standard, but what will it be like in my car?

Also to cut a long story short, when i was stripping my rear beam down i dad to cut the nuts off my drive shafts they were that tight (1" air gun wouldnt even touch them)

I need the strongest rear set up i can go for, so will 2wd rear stb shafts fit in my 4x4 hubs or will i need the complete 2wd rear end? And whats got the biggest bearings 2wd or 4x4? Or will group a rear hubs fit on my beam?

I believe the hubs are the same, it's just the shafts themselves which are different (along with the inner joints - to diff)

Reply text coming your way any moment

Comment

Kelv, did you get my text?

I've got 2wd beam on mine with 2wd shafts and diff, not sure how that helps, but I'm trying to look like I'm posting on the topic and not hogging it

FletchCossie Sponsors Motoring On Dave

Comment

the 4x4 hubs are smaller because the shafts are smaller you will need to change these to run 2wd shafts, i will doubt you will break standard 2wd drive shafts

Comment

Yes mate, looks like you text about the same time as Gaz did late last night

Comment

That right, ignore me

FletchCossie Sponsors Motoring On Dave

Comment

2wd and 4wd hubs are exactly the same, even garanda cosworths use the same hubs

the difference is the outer joints are bigger on 2wd, so the stub axle that goes into the hub is the same spline as 4wd but is bigger diameter where the driveshaft bolts too

get some pics of your diff set up as im going to go mustang rear diff aswell, but using the 8.8 irs with an uprated lsd

Comment

So basically i need 2wd hubs and stub axles, but they will go into my 4x4 carriers (the bit thats bolted to the trailing arm) Im planning on getting some drive shafts made up like propshafts. I havent seen my diff yet so ill make my mind up when i get it as i dont even know what output flanges are on one yet.

Yea im going for the irs diff aswel richy, how are you going around the 4x4 ratio problem? Im going to start another thread about that soon as its inevitable i will end up 4x4 one day so i want to deside on what cwp to get now.

Are the hub parts i need the same as a normal sierra then? Weve got one here that is getting scrapped so i could have them off that. Or is it just the cossie ones that are bigger?

Text replied to kelv, ive only just got in from work now aswel

Comment

im going to a get a ring gear and pinion for a 3.9, then use the 3.9 front diff but have it shot peened polished to give it a bit more strength

the irs diff you carnt get no where near a 3.62, but you could get a 3.9 and have your transfer chain done and keep the std 3.62 diff in place, i carnt as i wont be running a ford gearbox

the hubs that bolt onto the trailing arms are the sam as 2wd and 4wd cossies, only the driveshafts are different and stub axles that go through the hubs

only 2wd cossie sierra had the bigger drive flanges

also with theirs diff they use a push in fitment joint like our fronts not a bolted version like our rears, they do 2 different spline versions aswell, so you need to get the joints the same splines as what diff you are going to use internally

Comment

I couldnt find a 3.9 ratio anywhere. the nearest i found was 3.7 and then it jumped to 4.10. Where did you find the 3.9?

Comment

in the states at a place called jegs

really helpgul and quick reply on emails aswell, worked out just over 1k to have a brand new diff with everything i need to build it and could take shit loads of power

Comment

Any chance you can pm me a link

Comment

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/60019...oductId=750807

Comment

how cheap is that cwp, can someone please tell me all about these diffs whats the crack?
                            Last edited by dom123; 22-11-2010, 19:39:54.

Comment

bttt

Comment

Working...
                              X