Vehicle registration, MOT, plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle registration, MOT, plates

If I bought a car from the UK for the purpose of exporting it, what happens to the plates and registration, tax, etc...? Does it stay with the car? Is it returned to the motor vehicle agency for a partial refund?
    “The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    ― Muhammad Ali

Originally posted by Wesley P. View Post
    If I bought a car from the UK for the purpose of exporting it, what happens to the plates and registration, tax, etc...? Does it stay with the car? Is it returned to the motor vehicle agency for a partial refund?
    When I sold my 22b a couple of years ago (collector in south France bought it) all that happened was the document was filled in as per the "export" instructions on it and sent to DVLA.
    I have never heard anything else so presume its on record that its now gone.
    MOT & Tax i left on the car as he drove it from Aberdeen to the chunnel so still had the potential to be pulled over and had to be legal.
    sigpic

Paul.

Comment

depends on how its taken to the port or airport matey,if your foreign visitor wangles it they just hop in and head for the border but if they don't have insurance anything could happen like the car getting seized as per uk motoring laws on no insurance.
      i have sold quite a few cars and vans abroad and just handed over the docs full stop and that was the last of that

i have collected cars from southampton that we have imported and the same with liverpool as its only about 20 miles away and its not hard to ship to america,
      there is a holding yard thats full of stuff leaving for america you can see and its been like that for atleast 25 years,theres loads of taxis and jags and double deckers and rare american cars going back home because they are worth more now

Comment

Thanks guys, just curious as to how it works. The way I thought it worked is the registration/plates being a separate value of the car, as some people state the registration is not sold with the car. Over here you keep your plates and regs when the car is sold, new owner gets the title doc signed over and that's it. The responsibility of plates, registration, etc is that of the new owner.
        “The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
        ― Muhammad Ali

Comment

wes we have a private plate system simmilar to america only our plates cost fortunes more than yours,if you see a car in the uk that has a cherished or private plate that the seller is going to keep then it becomes more difficult to sort out,the seller should take the plate off before selling but loads do not as they think if it doesn't sell i will keep it on and they rush around hoping for the best when someone does say they want the car.
          for ease if your buying a car just ask the seller does it have a full logbook as your exporting to america and don't want any problems with the paperwork and are not interested if its not available.
          also you can check to see if the logbook is available by asking for the document reference number which is on the front of a uk logbook v5 and checking it on the british motor vehicle dept aka dvla info website

Comment

As above mate if the car has a private reg the owner will keep it, but most cars over here are just on a normal reg that stays with the car, well whilst in the Uk anyway.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification gents, good info. I never really understood how it worked, but seems to me there ins't much difference from over here, outside of the registration staying with the car.
              ― Muhammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by Wesley P. View Post
                Thanks for the clarification gents, good info. I never really understood how it worked, but seems to me there ins't much difference from over here, outside of the registration staying with the car.

correct

Wes theres very many variations on the rules depending on when certain things were done,now a reg 1st issued to a car thats taken off to put on another car the original reg goes back on whereas in the uk say 15 years ago it was normal to get another registration so theres on here that have had many new normal registrations aswell as private or cherished registrations.

Comment

Working...
                X