Roller bearing T4, OR GT35? and WRC breather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roller bearing T4, OR GT35? and WRC breather

Thoughts on Turbo spec would be appreciated, Just completeing an engine rebuild, and torn between a roller bearing core in my existing T4, or to go for a GT series? not a huge difference in cost between the 2...

Rough engine spec,

BD16+ Inlet
    BD14 Ex
    8 Greens
    All the other knobs and whistles, cant remember Comp ratio at the min!

Also anyone know where to get the WRC type breathers from, rough cost?

Thanks
    Chris

How much HP/TQ are you after and how do you want it to drive.

Mark

Comment

Not sure what power to expect really, im guessing 450+?

Only going to be used as a Sunday toy, so fast road, occasional track day, i know the T4 boosts well, but the lags bad for the road, but ive heard the Roller core spools up approx 1000rpm soooner?

My only issue with the GT series is the external wastgate, mainly the hassle/cost of doing the external WG, and ability to rebuild the GT series..

Prior to freshening up the engine, it was bd14 in/ex, 8x 803s on a siamese inlet, standard 4x4 plenum, T4 etc,

Martin at Reylands has lightened/balanced the bottom end, reccomended the BD16+, im going for a 70mm Throttle body on a HART style plenum, its all long studded, Cooper Ring gasket, Polished Standard Rods, Standard Crank, Machined Cos pistons for the valves, On P8, with ALS/AIR INJ/WATER INJ, Wasted spark via the cam trigger and so on!!

Chris

Comment

I'd talk to Martin about what turbo you need.
        Imo that's wrong inlet cam for 450bhp and certainly wrong turbo. You're more in the 550+ department..

Comment

Originally posted by Tore_TJ View Post
          I'd talk to Martin about what turbo you need.
          Imo that's wrong inlet cam for 450bhp and certainly wrong turbo. You're more in the 550+ department..
          Yeah i will, was just fishing for different opinions, so many different ways of getting similar results!! Im suprised by the power levels though, just hope the rest of the engine spec will cope!!

Comment

Would be looking at GT30/T38 turbos for 450hp

Cams sound to wild to me for that power but I know nothing really....

If martins building your engine you should let him spec everything...

Comment

Me neither!!

Anyone any ideas on the breather?

Comment

Originally posted by Gatecrasher View Post
                Would be looking at GT30/T38 turbos for 450hp

Cams sound to wild to me for that power but I know nothing really....

If martins building your engine you should let him spec everything...
                Sorry, no Martins not building it, hes just done some machining/supplied some parts etc, building it myself, my mates an ex GGR engine builder (about ten years ago), so hes helping me, but obviously Turbos etc have moved on since then...

Comment

Originally posted by chriswrc51 View Post
                  Sorry, no Martins not building it, hes just done some machining/supplied some parts etc, building it myself, my mates an ex GGR engine builder (about ten years ago), so hes helping me, but obviously Turbos etc have moved on since then...
                  If it was my car I'd go gt3071 with .82 housing for 450 bhp.
                  (well.. that's what I'm actually doing )

Dunno what exhust manifold you'll be using but since you've got a t4 I guess 2wd??
                  If 2wd manifold I'd keep the bd14 exhaust but downsize the inlet cam a bit.

You can have GT turbos with internal wg if you wish, but converting a 2wd manifold to ext wg is piss easy. only real cost is the wg and some pipe.

Comment

leave your engine spec as it is. as long as your comp ratio isn't to high.. slap the T4 on it get it mapped by the master and lover of T4's tony mannock (Turbosystems) over 500 horses, loads of fun

for all my tuning needs i use Turbosystems 07587188434. ask for tony

Comment

good spec, id go t4, we do loads of t4 engines similar spec to that and they go really well

Comment

Originally posted by SCS j1mbo View Post
                        good spec, id go t4, we do loads of t4 engines similar spec to that and they go really well
                        Yes for 500+bhp. You're the expert so I'd listen to you rather than me ()

Comment

Thanks all, Going for the T4, with a roller bearing core conversion.

Can anyone advise on the breather?

Cheers

Comment

I would go for a GT3071 for that sort of power after running both a Gt30 and a full spec Roller T4 I would go for the GT every time for the £1700 I paid for my T4 I thought it was very poor.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chriswrc51 View Post
                              Can anyone advise on the breather?

Cheers
                              I'm sure Adamski is you man for this, he's mates with Lars of

http://www.ahfabrications.com/products.htm

as he is the man creating these

check it's fitted with the plate for the breather, if you not sure drop me a PM and I can advise you what you need to look out for.
                              Work Hard, Play Harder

Comment

Working...
                              X