Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does anyone else feel its a loosing battle with the cossie electric these days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does anyone else feel its a loosing battle with the cossie electric these days?

I've just spent the last half hour fiddling with my washer pump plug, i've spent loads of time cleaning various connectors, rejoining wires etc, replaced the fusebox its getting a joke.

i think it wont be long before we all will be needing brand new car looms for the escos it seems to me the body work is out living the wiring loom.

My headlight washers don't work. Changed the relay and they worked for about a month, which was great, but not bothering with them now. Does get to me if something doesn't work and I like to have them fixed. Got more important things to sort out on the Escos as the MoT is due in July.

Not easy getting to the washer pumps either!

Scouse.

Comment

My light washers do not work and since the bumper repair the windscreen washers have not worked. Got a new fusebox in mine as well. I hate electrics

Comment

the funny thing is i'm a electrician so I'm always use to working with new wiring etc, in a house the wiring becomes dated at 20years old, our poor cars are getting to 20years old and have been subjected to cold damp areas under bumpers etc

Comment

German bodywork, English wiring
          XYZ Fabrications
          Bespoke, custom and low batch quantity cnc profiling, engraving and fabriactions, 07917757695

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
            German bodywork, English wiring
            so true

Comment

Never had a problem with mine wiring wise in the 7 years I've owned it. Can only put it down to me not using it in bad weather

Comment

When I first got my car it had all sorts of unusual electrical niggles, boot release switch didn't work, radio was intermittent and the engine sometimes spluttered and misfired and the alarm was a law unto its self, and all it was I discovered that the earth strap was snapped from the engine and gearbox to the chassis, put a new one on and had no trouble since
                sigpic

Comment

Just wear and tear sadly.

The wires themselves end up corroding internally and the resistance goes up causing all those annoying faults.

Has anyone got pics of the circuit boards in the fusebox?? are they modern multi layer PCB's or just the older single layer PCB's???

if they are older style single layer then with a bit of knowhow you could strip one down, scan the board to get a copy of the tracks, widen where possible the common ones that burn out etc and then make new PCB's

Perfectly doable just not cheap.

The rest of the loom is electrically dead simple. Withe the right tools most the connectors can be reused, many can be replaced, and most terminals for the connectors can be replaced too.

In theory you could make a new escos loom for probably £500 in materials (maybe less bought in bulk in trade) but with a lot of hours work.

Medically Discharged!! Officially insane!!!
                  My toy!! Pic 1 Pic 2 Pic 3 Pic 4

Comment

I have had my fuse box apart and fixed it being in the electronics industry and they are not multilayer. The tracks in them are very large already so that wont cure the problems. The fuse boxes only burn out because there are bad connections else where and i would not buy a new fuse box as fixing them is very easy.

Comment

There you go then! easy peasy.

Medically Discharged!! Officially insane!!!
                      My toy!! Pic 1 Pic 2 Pic 3 Pic 4

Comment

What is it that actually causes the fusebox to go?
                        Would running the fuel pump as a stand alone set-up (with a relay feeding from the fuseboard as per usual) help things?

Comment

Originally posted by Rolls View Post
                          What is it that actually causes the fusebox to go?
                          Would running the fuel pump as a stand alone set-up (with a relay feeding from the fuseboard as per usual) help things?
                          I believe its due to water running down the loom onto the board itself, over time it corrods the track etc

Comment

i mean more just dirty rusty connections on everything i look at its just getting old i guess...

Comment

Originally posted by dom123 View Post
                              i mean more just dirty rusty connections on everything i look at its just getting old i guess...
                              You can buy new crimps and connectors to freshen the loom up if your worried about reliability from polevolt

Comment

Working...
                              X