New Wheel Bearing questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Wheel Bearing questions

Hi folks, just a couple of questions about fitting new wheel bearings.

I assume I need to pack them with grease first? Does it need to be any particular type of grease, or just so long as it's a high temp one?

When you put the bearings in, the outer races are obviously tight, but is the actual bearing loose in the hub carrier until you pull in the hub flange/stub axle and torque them up? The grease/oil seal will obviously hold them in but can they still move up and down in the carrier?
    Cheers
    Trev.

When I did my wheel bearings I used Castrol LM Grease, which is high temperature. I just packed them out first and then pressed them in.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
    John

Comment

Yes Trev, they are loose until you torque them up to correct settings. I use works grease they use on trucks and ours get some punishment. Been fine for me. No idea what it's called but it's greasy!!! Lol

Scouse.

Comment

As above, Castol LM grease does the job
        XYZ Fabrications
        Bespoke, custom and low batch quantity cnc profiling, engraving and fabriactions, 07917757695

Comment

Brilliant, thanks guys.
          Cheers
          Trev.

Comment

how you get the bearing back in trev

front or rear

Comment

Originally posted by georgie1 View Post
              how you get the bearing back in trev

front or rear
              Not done it yet George, but I've got some pulling/pushing tools and some other bits as well, so here's hoping. Actually I wish I hadn't taken the outer races out now, because they were okay and they were a git to hammer out. Never mind. I had to cut and crack the inner races because virtually all of them were stuck on the hub flange shafts. Left a few marks on the shafts but I'm hoping they should be okay. Been refurbing the flanges, done one so far, must get some pics....
              Cheers
              Trev.

Comment

Working...
              X