Towing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing

Can anyone tell me if I was to tow a car using an A frame or something similar, does the car need to be mot'd if all 4 wheels are on the road?
    XYZ Fabrications
    Bespoke, custom and low batch quantity cnc profiling, engraving and fabriactions, 07917757695

I believe you do mate, otherwise all 4 wheels need to be off the tarmac

Comment

And taxed I believe

Comment

Ah tits

Thanks guys
        XYZ Fabrications
        Bespoke, custom and low batch quantity cnc profiling, engraving and fabriactions, 07917757695

Comment

I believe so also as i have been in the same predicament with a mini cooper im restoring. Bloody stupid law if you ask me as surly if you are not driving it and it has no engine its not a motorized vehicle and merely a trailer!

Comment

You'd think so wouldn't you Mike,

Ah well back to the drawing board
            XYZ Fabrications

Comment

Does it run otherwise?? Is it insured?
              Cheers, Kev.

sigpic

Comment

No Kev there's no engine box in it
                XYZ Fabrications

Comment

Mate of mine uses a A frame to tow his off roader which has no tax no mot or windows we've never had a problem probaly a bit of a grey area
                  sigpic

Comment

It's a very grey area, but a towing a frame is only legal if it is being used as recovery , unless the vehicle weighs less than 750kg , or the A frame is linked to the brakes. If it's less than 750 kg then it can be classed as a unbraked trailer, and I believe ( but not 100%) it doesn't have to be road legal, but tyres must be, if it's over 750kg it needs to be braked, if it's not it's classed as recovery, and to be recovered needs to be road legal.
                    Lots of people use them with no hassle, if your not going far I wouldn't worry, if you are, hire a trailer.
                    The police and VOSA are getting more strict with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rally247 View Post
                      It's a very grey area, but a towing a frame is only legal if it is being used as recovery , unless the vehicle weighs less than 750kg , or the A frame is linked to the brakes. If it's less than 750 kg then it can be classed as a unbraked trailer, and I believe ( but not 100%) it doesn't have to be road legal, but tyres must be, if it's over 750kg it needs to be braked, if it's not it's classed as recovery, and to be recovered needs to be road legal.
                      Lots of people use them with no hassle, if your not going far I wouldn't worry, if you are, hire a trailer.
                      The police and VOSA are getting more strict with it.

Thanks for that mate, yeah I'm going a fair distance. I didn't realise you could hire a trailer but after a quick search I can get one for £65 so I'll just do that

Thanks for all the replies
                      XYZ Fabrications

Comment

For £65 it not worth the risk, I'd looked into A frames a few months back to collect a car that was too heavy for my trailer .

Comment

Working...
                        X