crank seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crank seal

How easy is it to change the front crank oil seal as it is weeping, i will probably get the dizzy done as well as the car is now 26 years old and i think the seals have gone hard.

It's not that bad, can be done with the engine in the car - i'd drop out the radiator to allow more access. Biggest issue i've found is stuck bottom pulley, they can take some getting off if they've been in place for a while. I'd pop a new cam belt and tensioner on at the same time as you'll have to take the belt off, and as you're stripping the front down might be worth doing the waterpump too.

Comment

Thanks Simon, I was going to change the belt and in taking the cover off i noticed the weep so now another job but i will leave the water pump for now as no leaks.

Comment

Problem with the waterpump is if you disturb then refit the bugger might leak.

Comment

I know what you mean but I think i am going to have to stick with my late grandpa who said if it aint broke dont fix it how far do you go? as the cam pulley seals are the same age as the crank seal then theres the alternator, power steering pump and the list goes on and ive know some new pumps to leak after a year or two and i bet the replacement pump will not be as good as the one thats on! I think i have seen a couple of threads on hear with members struggling to seal the new pumps on.

Comment

water pump doesn't need disturbing or removing to do the work listed

Steve

NSSCC 2016 Class B1 Champion
            Mondeo 2.2 Titanium X sport daily driver, xr4x4 cosworth race car
            Matt lewis motorsport supporting my racing in 2016
            Reyland built, mapped by motorsport developments 455BHP
            http://www.mattlewismotorsport.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
            X