FAO - all painters/sprayers need advice on protecting new bare metal work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAO - all painters/sprayers need advice on protecting new bare metal work

sooner or later i have to bring my fiesta shell home from AG MOTORSPORT and its a 7 - 8 hour drive with the trailor and usually raining

my question is.......I have no idea about painting etc but know i need to protect the new bare metal work with some kind of red oxide/etch primer but i have no idea whats best to do???

Andrew is going to ask his painter for a price for me or he said he can push it outside and rattle can it to get it home but id like a pro opinion please.

im not sure when i will be able to afford to have it painted but it will be asap.

will the bare metal that has very slight surface rust need cleaning up before putting something on it for the time being? or just paint straight over how it is now?

here some pics of what needs protecting.....pretty much the whole car

all opinions and info welcome.

thanks Marc

sheet it over for the trip!!
    or get it into primer!!!------------or both
    what more options available????-wait for a real scorcher in july etc!!
    -------------if this was pf--------advice FROM THERE would be cover it in wd-lol
    ALLEDGEDLY!!!

Comment

I use "Easy Free" on any bare metal parts to stop them from rusting, but bare in mind this would have to be fully cleaned off prior to painting...

I would be inclined to get it primed before the journey.....
      Mike Rainbird

Click above - Sarcasm is just a free service I provide.

http://www.rsnorfolk.co.uk/

Nordschleife, there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right .

Comment

it will be sheeted up for the trip mate, but if any water and damp gets in on the way home the car is then going to have to site in the garage for a week or so before i can get it somewhere to etch prime etc so would like it coated in something before hand.

also can you just etch over the surface rust like whats on the inner front wing? will it not just continue to attack the metal under the primer unless cleaned up before using a primer or similar

Comment

What a weapon that thing looks like.

Low Slung Denim.

Comment

etch prime it mate as soon as you can... bare metal starts reacting straight away

RS500 8 injector T4 515 BHP
            Restored, Built and Setup by M.A.S Tuning
            The Never Ending Story......
            HERE

Comment

Can you not hire a fully enclosed Brian James trialer from somewhere.

Or get it primered by Andy's mate

Its a trolley ...its a shopping trolley (you know, with the spastic front wheel!!)
              Fastest FWD Ford - 11.7 @129mph (183.99mph Topspeed)

Comment

i'd get it primed before transport then you at least know its protected and if it needs repriming after its easy, rather than doing things now then removing it then repriming... and as funds dont allow paint primer will be cheaper than primer and paint easily

Comment

acid etch primer is what i used on all my bare metal

make sure all metal is clean and free from surface rust first them spray it on, its a 2 pac and a 1-1 ratio but will protect it for the journey and a good few weeks as it eats itself into themetal to get a good bond, this is what would be used first anyhow before a normal primer is applied

Comment

leave it in andys till u have the funds and get his painter to prime for u then bring home and at least its in primer ready for paint,and u wont be wasting time or money tryna get rid of surface rust before painting

Comment

Hi Marc you defo need to acid etch prime all the bare metal, the U-pol stuff is quite good, you can get it at halfrauds in ready mixed aerosols or 2 pack tins. as a follow on after the etching the car will require a further primer- undercoat prior to painting. im a paint sprayer feel free to pm me with any further queries and if you want it painting id happily do that for you. and looks like a rite weapon in the making!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X