Advise on ST chip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise on ST chip

Hi, I’m after advise on a safe chip to increase the power to my small turbo cosworth, I’m considering increasing the power and understand the small turbo is very restrictive on what can be done due to the ecu. I have a tuner who has built multiple very powerful cosworths over his 40 odd years, he is unsure of what the best performance chip there is in the market that will obtain maximum potential from the engine safely. If anyone can recommend a performance chip tried and tested and what other mods it would be a big help. I know I’m not going to get big power without some chosen mods like changing the loom etc which at this stage I don’t want to do.

Thanks all.

https://www.motorsport-developments....ecu_chips.html

Motorsport Developments in Blackpool will be your best bet mate - their EEC IV chip (for small turbo) is £300 on the website

Comment

Other than a mild MSD chip with not a big power increase and definitely a reduction in turbo life. Change the management system and turbo for a worthwhile increase in power. Definitely not cheap but worth it.
      Very easy to do in the small turbo car and keep the ability to return to stock when you want to sell the car.

Mark

Comment

Bit of info if it helps...

https://www.grahamgoode.com/old/cosworth/conv3.htm

Comment

The EEC is not restrictive. It requires understanding of Ford's algorythms by the tuner.

The size of the oem injectors and oem turbo are the initial limit on performance.

Typically the FPR is replaced by a 4bar unit and a bigger fuel pump fitted, then the turbo is turned up to ten with an actuator and target load revisions.

Many of the chips fail to address the injector flow rate, relying on fuel trims to bandaid rich running at low loads. At high loads AFR gets into the 13's because bigger injectors are required and that needs to be programmed into the chip.

I've not looked at the content of an MSD chip, to comment on it specifically. You want to ask them, are the high slope, low slope and breakpoint being reprogrammed for the injector change.

Check out a Moates Quarterhorse tuning emulator, Binary Editor and GHAJ0.
          Cheers
          John

EsCos - Turning dinosaurs into smiles.

Comment

Ask around / Have a chat with Sabre tuning. They've done ST's before.
            Cheers
            John

EsCos - Turning dinosaurs into smiles.

Comment

Thank you for the information, not gonna a lie a learning curve for me. I shall do some digging to find the best solution.

QUOTE=jsa;n1124910]The EEC is not restrictive. It requires understanding of Ford's algorythms by the tuner.

The size of the oem injectors and oem turbo are the initial limit on performance.

Typically the FPR is replaced by a 4bar unit and a bigger fuel pump fitted, then the turbo is turned up to ten with an actuator and target load revisions.

Many of the chips fail to address the injector flow rate, relying on fuel trims to bandaid rich running at low loads. At high loads AFR gets into the 13's because bigger injectors are required and that needs to be programmed into the chip.

I've not looked at the content of an MSD chip, to comment on it specifically. You want to ask them, are the high slope, low slope and breakpoint being reprogrammed for the injector change.

Check out a Moates Quarterhorse tuning emulator, Binary Editor and GHAJ0.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
              X