Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any bodyshop peeps on?

just a quick one

ive just painted my sierra with 2 pac jet black, problem im having is getting enough paint on as i seem to be flatting throughplaces down to teh primer and its annoying me now as ive used almost 7 litres of paint

what i want to know is can i laquer it?

if so is it just give it a key and laquer it as i know i will also get a better shine with it being laquered

if i carnt then ill just touch the bits up ive gone through if i can what do i key it up with grey scotch pads or maybe wet flat the car with 1000 wet and dry

You will have to touch up the bits you've gone through anyway before lacquer and if wet flatting use 1200 or finer imo.

Comment

if you primer and leave it and then wop the basecoat straight on then wet flat you will go through into the primer high spots really quickly and have a stone chip peppered efect showing through,been there done it once and never again.

if your primer is spot on and flatted and you wop enough paint on and flat with 2000 or 1200 and then machine polish with say farecla g3 then farecla wax top you will get a nice old shine

Comment

2k black can be a bit off a pain if not covered properly, as it goes brownish then threw to primer in areas that you have flatted back to far! how many coats of 2 pac did you put on? yes you can lacquer over 2 pac just blow in any bits with black basecoat that you have rubbed threw scotchbrite the whole area you are painting then put 2 full coats off clear over it.... tht will give you a really good deep shine with black then just flat with either 1200..1500 or 2000 depending on how good your off the gun finish is
        sigpic
        L76 APJ Pacifica Blue 570bhp 460lbt SCS mapped

Comment

well

i had taken all panels off

shell got primered then flatted then it got painted, left a couple of days flatted with 1200 and painted again

this was done on all panels aswell so each panel has been painted twice so to speak

what im having problem is as iain has mentioned they go brown when you realise you have flatted to far, but this doesnt help where im trying to flat a run out lol, i even painted the doors again and ive managed to go through again

so im gona laquer it now and get that deep shine i wanted s tbh im not happy with the finish of it even tough its proper shiney it still looks dull

so another thing is with the base coat already applied is it worth flatting it as straight as i can get it before laquer to get ridof any orange peel then just paint the bits that ive mopped through on?

imnot after concourse as the car is a £300 run around lol i just want it to look shiney compared to what it did but i have an idea in my head of how shiney i want it

Comment

are you using soap with a block and clean water ???

if you use your hand and no soapm you gotta be carefull and keep checking before you flat through.
            if you know theres enough paint on and wipe the water off to look and the paints grey looking that would do for me and then machine polish with the g3.
            i have honestly had mint results with black and a nice flat and then a polish up,arfe you sure your using the right hardner too,my mate painted a bonnet and bumper on a mondeo and forgot the activator and wondered why the laquer was soft and chewy looking even flys were sticking to it and that was 3 days later and it was still soft the dozy twonk

Comment

yes mate im doing everything properly

its just not enough paint where ive mopped through thats all

block flatting it with warm soapy water aswell and flatting until all the orange peel is gone and its grey as you said

the shine is fantastic and so is the reflection bar a couple of bits ive mopped through

but when the sun hits it becuase its black and nothing else in it there is no light reflection so with the laquer it will shine out properly as i want it too when the sun hits it, thats my plan anyhow

Comment

Maybe you've just not had enough paint coming out of the gun when you sprayed it or just didnt go heavy enough for fear of getting runs maybe

Got any pics or does it not show up too well on camera ?

Comment

only pics i have as my batteries are scrap in the camera, ill try and get some more today if i can

http://forum.fordsierraclub.co.uk/vi...p?f=14&t=45016

Comment

you shouldn't need to flat basecoat it's only the colour. put bouts 3 coats on. (not to heavy so no runs) before your last coat is completely dry put your laquer on. flat off when dry with 1200 then 1500 then 3000. polish up. job done

for all my tuning needs i use Turbosystems 07587188434. ask for tony

Comment

the car has already been painted and dried though and ive mopped through the paint lol

so i want to laquer it to give it a bit more protection when mopping

so im going to key the whole car up with some grey scotch pads, the bits that ive gone through ive been told to paint the panels not just patch it up then laquer it

Comment

Working...
                      X