Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut back blades? Advantages & disadvantages

As above really?

Always wondered the advantages and disadvantages of having cut back blades on a turbo. Cheers

I think they don't over speed as much and spool up faster but I could be wrong

Dave.
    PSN Ecossy93

Visit Jensen's Toys & Gifts Website
    http://jensenhullbmx.weebly.com/

Comment

Depends what car they're fitted too.................

If its that shocking RST you've just bought, a better mod maybe petrol and matches!!
      sigpic

Comment

arent cut back blades meant to help turbo spool up quicker? though rally cars had mainly cut back blades.
        xflow way to go!

Comment

I've got a t3 with them on.

Franco, it's going to make me some money I hope. I'll document what I get for bits, I'm sure it's worth it.

But yes it's a monstrosity lol

Comment

Originally posted by john savage View Post
            arent cut back blades meant to help turbo spool up quicker? though rally cars had mainly cut back blades.
            Completely the opposite .

They increase the boost threshold, but reduce the back-pressure for greater flow (and therefore more bhp and greater reliability at high boost pressures).

So basically the plus side is more power / longevity (at big boost).

The downside is a loss of response / increase in lag.
            Mike Rainbird

Click above - Sarcasm is just a free service I provide.

http://www.rsnorfolk.co.uk/

Nordschleife, there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right .

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Rainbird View Post

They increase the boost threshold, but reduce the back-pressure for greater flow (and therefore more bhp and greater reliability at high boost pressures).

So basically the plus side is more power / longevity (at big boost).

The downside is a loss of response / increase in lag.
              doh! cheers for the right info mike
              xflow way to go!

Comment

Thanks for that mike. Sell my turbo now then. Thank you

Comment

I seem to remember Vince telling me it was done to protect the blades from hitting the sides of the turbo when they got hot and expanded but in his experiance (and he has a lot) he never seen one fail from it so always felt it was a gimick and not in a good way.

Disclaimer, my memory isn't what it used to be so all of the above could be complete bollocks

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Rainbird View Post
                    Originally posted by john savage View Post
                    Blimey Mike I'd have thought you'd have known what's what with turbos. I learnt my lesson a few years ago on PF when my mis-conception was corrected - straight from the horses mouth, apparently

http://passionford.com/forum/ford-si...-t34-spec.html

Comment

I have a t34 whit 360 bearing, cut back blades and 48 exhaust, it`s brilliant on 803 setup. But it will soon be a Gt3076 and total other setup

Comment

Originally posted by jon@work View Post
                        Blimey Mike I'd have thought you'd have known what's what with turbos. I learnt my lesson a few years ago on PF when my mis-conception was corrected - straight from the horses mouth, apparently

http://passionford.com/forum/ford-si...-t34-spec.html
                        Thats my best mate talking bollocks with the white sapphire ... Is a fucking great car though!

Cut back blades are just to allow slightly less backpressure for a % gain at high boost levels. Hardly worth bothering with IMHO...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ripley View Post
                          I seem to remember Vince telling me it was done to protect the blades from hitting the sides of the turbo when they got hot and expanded but in his experiance (and he has a lot) he never seen one fail from it so always felt it was a gimick and not in a good way.

Disclaimer, my memory isn't what it used to be so all of the above could be complete bollocks
                          is that vince from cr turbos? as thats one company i wont be using again

brand new turbo off him last 12 miles with no boost going through it after it seized and he blamed it on my fuelling saying it got to hot, i ended up with 3 turbos from him in the space of 2 months but none was his fault, i could of gone gt 30 and external gate the amount of money he had off me

Comment

I've used Vince since the Turboshop days, personally I can't find a bad word to say against him. Something must have been seriously wrong not last longer then 12 miles

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ripley View Post
                              I've used Vince since the Turboshop days, personally I can't find a bad word to say against him. Something must have been seriously wrong not last longer then 12 miles
                              i had all brand new turbos, the 1st turbo lasted just under 2k before the seals went 1k of that was running in a brand new engine

he said it was the debris fromnew engine and i should run a filter, ok fair enough

2nd turbo was bought with oil filter, started engine up and my mate said theturbos f knackered, which i said was impossible, took it down the road with noboost as i had just fitted compresssion struts and adj tcas and nothing was set up as tyres hitting arches then, heard a nasty grinding noise and then a big bang, the ex blade had welded itself to the housing i was told

but this was my fuelling that caused this after 12 miles asaying my car ran lean, my car had never ran lean as it was always slightly rich according to my gauges

3rd turbo i bought lasted 4k then stripped the car and sold it on

Comment

Working...
                              X