Range Rover v8 Diesel twin turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Range Rover v8 Diesel twin turbo

If anyone ever ownes one of these, hope that the turbos or altenator don't fail (or anything else that's bolted to the engine ) as the engine is such a tight fit that you can't get to anything, resulting in either dropping the engine out, or as in this case lifting the shell off:

Taking the shell off is quicker than the engine out, and this is what Range Rover would do to change the turbos, and change you over 9k for the privilege.

Crazy isn't it, that much labour just to change a turbo or altenator

All that for an alt change?
    XYZ Fabrications
    Bespoke, custom and low batch quantity cnc profiling, engraving and fabriactions, 07917757695

Comment

That one was a failed turbo, but you'd have to do the same for an altenator too as its not accessible where it is mounted.

Comment

Dealer: "Sir, that will be £250 for the alternator....."

Customer "Oh, that's not as bad as I thought"

Dealer: "...and £9k labour...."

Customer: A dull thud is heard

Dealer: Rushes around from the counter "Sir, sir, are you okay", already with the smelling salts in his hand for just such occasions.

I really quite fancied one of these as a tow car one day. I think I will skip .

Out of interest, what will your bill be by comparison to main dealer?
        Mike Rainbird

Click above - Sarcasm is just a free service I provide.

http://www.rsnorfolk.co.uk/

Nordschleife, there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right .

Comment

My dad was stunned when they looked into what was actually involved as they'd spoken to a main dealer
          and didn't 100% believe what they were told (they were originally going to sub it out to main dealer at trade rate then mark up the price to the customer).

Near to 5k I think Mike, not 100% sure as I don't work there (its my Dads business).

Comment

Originally posted by sortedcossie View Post
            My dad was stunned when they looked into what was actually involved as they'd spoken to a main dealer
            and didn't 100% believe what they were told (they were originally going to sub it out to main dealer at trade rate then mark up the price to the customer).

Near to 5k I think Mike, not 100% sure as I don't work there (its my Dads business).
            I am about to have the starter motor replaced on the Freelander this afternoon (so similar thing), if it cost £5k, they could keep the car .
            Mike Rainbird

Click above - Sarcasm is just a free service I provide.

http://www.rsnorfolk.co.uk/

Nordschleife, there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right .

Comment

Drive/cam belt change is an engine out/body off job.

Anything other than "normal" servicing would be a body off or engine out jobbie. They were also suprised at how many connectors on the chassis weren't protected from the elements, and they aren't a great seal - some of them had indications of water ingress, leading to all kinds of electrical gremlins in the future. Many of the bolts and screws seemed low quality too, many were corroded badly, much worse than you'd expect for a three year old car.

Comment

wasnt expecting the chassis to be a seperate item to the body .... thought those days were long gone!!
                one for the road?? ......
                sigpic

Comment

u just know its gonna have rattles after that!!!
                  what a big task for such a small item

www.carpartsexpress.co.uk

Comment

I am at a total loss as to how these ever made it passed the design stage

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Rainbird View Post
                      Dealer: "Sir, that will be £250 for the alternator....."

Customer "Oh, that's not as bad as I thought"

Dealer: "...and £9k labour...."

Customer: A dull thud is heard

Dealer: Rushes around from the counter "Sir, sir, are you okay", already with the smelling salts in his hand for just such occasions.

I really quite fancied one of these as a tow car one day. I think I will skip .

Out of interest, what will your bill be by comparison to main dealer?
                      its not that hard to take the body off sports tho, ive done a couple of timing belts on them
                      sigpic
                      Mapped by MAD 732.4 bhp 570 lbs torque
                      Swindon RSOC Chairman/RS Combe organiser

Comment

all that for a turbo
                        Thanks Mark.

NORRISMOTORSPORT 01773836274
                        WWW.NI-FORDS.CO.UK

Comment

That's going to render them scrap before their time when the price falls on them.Whatever "genius" and I use the term loosely came up with that belter deserves to be shagged with a rag mans trumpet.
                          http://www.decisiondrivinguk.com/

"Back off man, I'm a Scientist" - Dr. Peter Venkman

Comment

Once folk find out the bill for a turbo there will be a few getting torched without doubt.

Comment

My Cousins Range Rover was 4 months over warrenty and had to have a new turbo which was 1100quid and labour was £2800 and that wasnt a dealer. this was last week

Comment

Working...
                              X