Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please explain the different types of rear beams

Hi all,
    When I was into these cars is was a GP A rear beam directly bolted via the D plates all the way through the chassis. As was the diff bolted directly to the X member. No rubber mounts .And rose jointed trailing arms to set Geo.
    What are the other types I keep hearing of and why would I want to do it.
    Which is best and why, what advantage do they it give.
    I have a lot to re-learn and new stuff as well.
    Thanks.
    Frank

ps
    Sorry guys I have been gaged again. Can only post 20 per dayThis was at 11pm tonight. I thank all the replies below and will post again tomorrow.
    Frank
    OK a bit OTT I know..... I'm not that Pi$$ed off. Honest
    Last edited by Sunnysidebb; 08-01-2011, 23:24:20.
    sigpic

Sunnyside B&B and camper restorations
    www.sunnysidebb.co.uk

Frank,
    We take a standard rear beam, and extend the pick up points of the inner amend on the trailing arms and extend the mounting point on the beam to change the angle between the inner and outer points, hard to explain

This stops the wheels under going geometry changes when the car squats and lifts at the back.

It's a very worth while mod to do, it transforms the handling and dosnt wear the in side of the tires

Comment

the beam of the moment is the 6 deg beam which give a great improvement on handling

guess i was to slow.

for all my tuning needs i use Turbosystems 07587188434. ask for tony

Comment

http://www.randbmotorsport.co.uk/shop/FF_Articles.asp
        To have it explained click on the link above and read the one entitled suspension.
        Mike Rainbird

Click above - Sarcasm is just a free service I provide.

http://www.rsnorfolk.co.uk/

Nordschleife, there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right .

Comment

Picture of the beam j1mbo has described

Comment

Whats the cost of these bad boys... and thanks to Frank for asking this as i was getting a bit confused..

Comment

Carsey, about £1000 for the SCS beam pictured

FletchCossie Sponsors Motoring On Dave

Comment

Originally posted by FletchCossie View Post
                Carsey, about £1000 for the SCS beam pictured
                and to add to that, you need to supply a beam aswell

Comment

Hi all thanks for the replies. This is the second response, unfortunately it would appear to have gone missing. Along with the fact I can only write 20 posts in a 24 hour period. It screws with your thought process if you cant reply to a point right away. By the time 24hrs has elapsed the thread has moved on so I really cant be arsed to write it all again and no doubt I will run out of posting credit ...again.
                  Anyway thanks for all the info.
                  Frank
                  sigpic

www.sunnysidebb.co.uk

Comment

There are at least 3 different group A beams too + the wrc setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Panza View Post
                      There are at least 3 different group A beams too + the wrc setup.
                      Hi,
                      I was used to the very early GP A Sapphire set up before they went to mag arms and big bearing carriers. The early stuff was very much a home build idea. Strengthen the brackets by doubling up metal. cutting a spare beam down its length, it to make 2 halves, then weld the 2 halves back onto another beam to double up the thickness. The trailing arms were strengthened and a plate welded where the standard spring used to sit. Coil overs were used instead.The rear diff was bolted directly onto the rear cross member no rubber mounts.
                      I would be interested in some other ideas, so long as the cost is not too much.
                      Frank
                      sigpic

www.sunnysidebb.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                      X