Can you renew a laptop screen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you renew a laptop screen?

Just sat with the laptop on, plugged in aswell as it flashed up the battery about to die.

Next thing one of the dogs is jumping up at the patio doors barking like crazy at something outside, I put the laptop to one side as i jumped up, daftly I'd wraped the lead around my foot somehow and it yanked the laptop off of the sofa and it crunched onto the floor bending the screen back the wrong way and it cracking

It now all looks shattered with a black liquid effect pattern and buzz's funnily if you turn it on.
    I can't see anything on the screen, not that the screen now works.

Can they be replaced atall, or are they daftly expensive to replace?

I've got loads of stuff on there from over te past few years, both personal and work, including my licience for work etc

yes im sure you can replace but wont be cheap

Comment

I would have thought it will be expensive just to replace the screen. But you should be able to connect a external screen, then you can save the stuff on a external hard drive

Comment

Originally posted by JHS View Post
        I would have thought it will be expensive just to replace the screen. But you should be able to connect a external screen, then you can save the stuff on a external hard drive
        good idea forgot about that

Comment

I bought a screen for £100 and replaced it myself. There is videos on youtube how to do it

You will need to take your screen out for the part number, but its a piece of piss to replace them

FletchCossie Sponsors Motoring On Dave

Comment

This gives you an idea:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRlfC8jr63I"]YouTube - How to replace laptop lcd / How to replace laptop screen[/ame]

I got my screen from EBAY.

Comment

Jan H, I can use an external screen, but I have to go to the settings and then click on a function to change it to the external output, which unfortunatley I won't be able to see what I'm doing

Comment

Shouldn't be to hard fletch, just need to find the right screen now

Comment

Originally posted by Kelv View Post
                  Jan H, I can use an external screen, but I have to go to the settings and then click on a function to change it to the external output, which unfortunatley I won't be able to see what I'm doing
                  I'm sure both my laptops duplicate the picture on the computer when I plug them in If its not repairable there are companies that can extract the contents of the hard drive for you.

Comment

nice helpful info steve look easy

Comment

Type your laptop model number into google and see what comes up

Comment

Originally posted by georgie1 View Post
                        nice helpful info steve look easy
                        There was 8 screws on my laptop. 4 holding the screen surround on and 4 holding the screen to the back bit, piece of piss

Strip it down, get the part number and google it. Will show you where to buy a new one

Comment

I'm sure house insurance will cover stuff like this,then take it to pc world and they will take all the info of.
                          Thanks Mark.

NORRISMOTORSPORT 01773836274
                          WWW.NI-FORDS.CO.UK

Comment

if you can get the part for a sensible price then its usually just a bit of fiddly action with precision screwdrivers. Replaced screens, motherboards, hard drives etc.

also if you need to use a monitor, most laptops have a button on the F "function" keys that switches to external monitor for use with projectors/screens etc.

also dont worry about the files. you can simply take the hard drive out and put it into a ebay sourced USB hard drive caddy for literally a couple of quid. just remember to get the right kind of caddy for your drive.

Medically Discharged!! Officially insane!!!
                            My toy!! Pic 1 Pic 2 Pic 3 Pic 4

Comment

Originally posted by Mark King View Post
                              I'm sure house insurance will cover stuff like this,then take it to pc world and they will take all the info of.
                              unless the laptop is worth thousands then IMO its a bad idea to go through insurance if the laptop can be fixed. At worst it would likely cost a couple of hundred quid for a new screen or 3-500 for a new reasonable laptop. He would almost certainly be raped for more than that in premiums increase for claiming over the next few years.

Medically Discharged!! Officially insane!!!
                              My toy!! Pic 1 Pic 2 Pic 3 Pic 4

Comment

Working...
                              X