Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some said it couldnt be done...................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some said it couldnt be done...................

But i dont listen to some

AP Racing CP5570 Calipers ( designed and machined for Maximum radius 330 x 28mm thickness Discs ) fitted onto 362 x 32mm Discs

So how have i managed to make this happen over the last 6 months.....

You may remember that last year i put a post up asking which model my calipers were and if machining them was possible, some said not but it turns out it was. I then met up with a first class local engineer in Adrian Cookson whose workshop is simply amazing and he himself is unreal with his perfection and attitude to his work, some of the stuff he has made is unreal and i knew he was the man for me with this challenge. The caliper i left with him had the bolting hole drilled out from M10 to M12 and then 1 disc was were left with him and he then machined it by hand removing 1.5mm from the points highlighted below and the metal pad retainers had a slight trim too. The saddle had a small amount removed in readiness for the larger radius as there was a chance it would catch at the top and bottom.

They were then returned back to me for mock up on the car and in the mean time i prepped and painted the bells that were initially gold anodised to silver and the non contact section on the disc was painted too. Mock up was good so he then did the same to the other caliper.

We then over a week or so took some measurements that would allow some 1 off completely bespoke brackets to be made. The brackets i had were no good as the holes that the caliper mounts to the bracket on were out due to the 5570 caliper being different to the 5555 which takes 32mm discs as standard. After a few weeks of trial and error and a few minor alterations on the CNC machine i finally collected these

They have this detail which sadly cant be seen but was a nice surprise i didnt expect!

When these were fitted i double checked the saddle clearance and all was ok.

Passenger and drivers side were then all finally fitted and torqued up and the end result was so pleasing to see after the doubt from months ago to reality.

The brakes were then finally bled today and the car was then finally dropped down and has tonight seen the car leave the garage for the first time this year looking much better behind the wheels than the old brakes....

Old ones looked a bit smaller

So job done When people tell me things cant be done it drives me on to try and make things happen. I was looking at spending £900 on 2 brand new CP5555 calipers which would have also needed pads at a cost of nearly £200 so it was £1100 or give it a go. Trust me i was nervous about leaving my calipers with somebody who once they were altered were possibly going to be worthless but they were done perfectly. The work on the calipers and the manufacturing of the brackets cost me much less than what 1 caliper would have cost me and i mean much less! so my gamble paid off. Plus side is that i now finally have the brakes i should have bought in the first instance, I also now have the wheels filled up a bit 2 Negative sides which i can so easily live with are that there is a slight 2mm pad overhang over the edge of the disc but there is a full 52mm worth of pad on the disc face. There is also a bit of work to be done to any new pads that i may have to put in but if you look at the pads that are in they are 5 years old with hardly any wear so this shouldnt be anything that i will ever have to worry about in my ownership!

Im so chuffed to have tried this and really happy with the result. If anybody else feels like doing this then go ahead as its possible and im more than happy to give Adrians number out with pleasure

A good clean up now, some tax and i'll see you all at the pod

P.S old 330mm setup for sale soon, I have decided against 330mm rear at the min with a standard caliper only, maybe 1 day in the future with a CP5200 4 pot caliper though!

Thanks
    Mart

looks great Mart and fair play for making it happen alot wouldnt have went to the trouble you have See you at the pod...

Comment

well done martin , nice job all round mate
      id expect nothing less on yours tho

i need bigger brakes

Comment

Would have been easier to put the far superior CP5555 on Least they'd use the entire disc face to brake rather than 3/4 of it.

Comment

after all the messing around Martin.

well done in saving yourself a few £££.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul RS View Post
            Would have been easier to put the far superior CP5555 on Least they'd use the entire disc face to brake rather than 3/4 of it.
            They arent superior though, they are the same just machined differently for the radius's, And even if i had done this they wouldnt cover much more of the disc than these do, the only caliper that does is the AP7040 that goes right in to the bell due to the depth of the pad.

Thanks for the other comments, im chuffed to bits!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul RS View Post
              have you the bigger 300 mm brakes on the rear of a cosworth....they are exactly the same as Martins set up.

Dave.

Comment

Nice one Martin, got there in the end mate
                XYZ Fabrications
                Bespoke, custom and low batch quantity cnc profiling, engraving and fabriactions, 07917757695

Comment

Great job.

Comment

this is a stunning escos Martin and always looking top notch

Comment

Looks good

Disc's are the wrong way round though

Comment

Good job there fella

www.infinity-racing.co.uk www.spec-r.co.uk

Comment

Looks like a great job...

Comment

All the CP5570 is is a CP5555 with some meat removed off each half and then bolted together to fit the narrower 28mm discs.

Given that the clearances are like that to allow for a certain degree of expansion when the discs get hot (along with bearing flex), I'd have done it differently (by splitting the calliper and adding a spacer in the middle (which is how Hispec make there callipers to suit a variety of disc sizes)):

http://www.hispecbrake.co.uk/Monster...m%20Rotor.html

My only concern would be how much the discs actually grow by in hard use, causing them to catch.....

You may not have any issues for road use, but listen out for any noises in hard use and watch out for pad knock-off . Fore-warned is fore-armed .

And when the pads wear out, you can get some with deeper depth to use more of the disc .
                            Mike Rainbird

Click above - Sarcasm is just a free service I provide.

http://www.rsnorfolk.co.uk/

Nordschleife, there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right .

Comment

Lol, hard use and Martin don't go together.

Dave.

Comment

Working...
                              X