fao those with powder coated wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fao those with powder coated wheels

right, im thinking of having my wheels refurbed as theyre a bit scratched up,

theres a local price that can poder coat them for a decent price but..

the old man said today when the coating cracks or chips off, water gets under it and it peels off easily !

does anyone have powder coated wheels ?
    how are yours doing ?

thanks jim

id love a set of freshly powdercoated RL7's

sorry, i couldnt resist

Comment

Mine and all my old ones have been fine!

Make sure they mask the face that sits over the disc or drum though.

Two reasons -
      1- Due to getting hot/cold the paint softens and can looosen the wheel.
      2- It can bake itself on

With regard the chipping, not if there done properly they should not. Make sure there shot blasted before coating.

However if they do ONCE chipped It deserves you right for driving like a tard! and curbing them.

Its a trolley ...its a shopping trolley (you know, with the spastic front wheel!!)
      Fastest FWD Ford - 11.7 @129mph (183.99mph Topspeed)

Comment

Originally posted by luca View Post
        Mine and all my old ones have been fine!

Make sure they mask the face that sits over the disc or drum though.

Two reasons -
        1- Due to getting hot/cold the paint softens and can looosen the wheel.
        2- It can bake itself on

With regard the chipping, not if there done properly they should not. Make sure there shot blasted before coating.

However if they do ONCE chipped It deserves you right for driving like a tard! and curbing them.
        Yeah - but I'm assuming mo's are powder coated from the factory.. - and the paint on those becomes terrible after a few years...

Comment

powder coat isnt paint

upsetting the establishment on PF since 2000 http://thealpinaregister.com/forums/

Comment

Yeah - I know - sorry - should have read the finish on these becomes shite after a few years!

Comment

All compomotive wheels are powdercoated

Comment

lol

iv had a few sets done over the years & never had any bother. if you dont drive along things causing damage to the coating they will be fine

upsetting the establishment on PF since 2000 http://thealpinaregister.com/forums/

Comment

Originally posted by Rolls View Post
                  Yeah - but I'm assuming mo's are powder coated from the factory.. - and the paint on those becomes terrible after a few years...
                  I would imagine its down to how clean you keep them and if you leave the brake dust to settle into the surface.

Alot of performance brake pads have a higher content of copper in them and thus leads to destroying the paint surface if left on there.

Its a trolley ...its a shopping trolley (you know, with the spastic front wheel!!)

Comment

could be - may car did look like this evryone once in a while:

Comment

Originally posted by rolls View Post
                      could be - may car did look like this evryone once in a while:

rip

Comment

cheers lads,

luca

why cant you have them shot blasted first ? i was gonna have mine blasted of some sort ?

Comment

Originally posted by j1mbo View Post
                          cheers lads,

luca

why cant you have them shot blasted first ? i was gonna have mine blasted of some sort ?

read it again before typeing a responce

Comment

oh bollocks

Comment

Reason being Jimbo, the shot blasting strips of any corrosion or paint etc from an old wheel, but the main reason is the shot blast gives a nice rough texture for the powdercoat to grip to.

For instance I had a set of brand new wheels which were white, powdercoated black. Its advised to have those stripped back too bare material as over painting the original finish results in weaker finish. Basically the powdercoat doesnt stick properly, like glossing without sanding first!!!!
                              So i had to have these re-done (albeit at the companys cost)

Comment

Working...
                              X