wheels catching the arches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheels catching the arches

my wheels on the 3dr are catching the arches, i was going to get them rolled to solve the problem but i've noticed my wheels must be moving forward and catching the kit

i thought on a 3dr as the wheel moved up it moved back not forward??

there about 15mm gap

sigpic

Have you changed the trailing arm bushes for poly items?
    Mike Rainbird

Click above - Sarcasm is just a free service I provide.

http://www.rsnorfolk.co.uk/

Nordschleife, there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right .

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Rainbird View Post
      Have you changed the trailing arm bushes for poly items?

no mike its a scs 6 degree beam and just fitted ggr bushes to the outer arms which are the same as standard ford bushes

i have poly bushes in the beam though?
      sigpic

Comment

Can it move that much then.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by Davecos 4x4 View Post
          Can it move that much then.
          F**k knows :-(
          All I can do is drop a spring and shocker off 1 side and see what happens when I push the wheel up.
          sigpic

Comment

Can you not weigh the car down, fill the boot up lol, see where the wheels are touching then modify that part.

Dave.

Comment

What have you set the geometry to?
              Mike Rainbird

Nordschleife, there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right .

Comment

Originally posted by B13 JUS View Post
                i thought on a 3dr as the wheel moved up it moved back not forward??
                On any Cosworth the wheel moves forward as it goes up bud.

What size tyre, wheel and offset do you have?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Rainbird View Post
                  What have you set the geometry to?
                  It does need setting mike. Will that stop it catching where it does?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gav Diamond View Post
                    On any Cosworth the wheel moves forward as it goes up bud.

What size tyre, wheel and offset do you have?
                    I thought it was the other way round lol
                    When the car is up in the air the wheel is closer to the kit than when lowered down so I thought more the wheel went up in the arch the further it would move away.

I've got 17x8 et25 wheels with 235/40/17 tyres
                    sigpic

Comment

It does need setting mike. Will that stop it catching where it does?
                      No idea, as I don't know what it is set to LOL.
                      Mike Rainbird

Comment

jus think the problem could be in the et25 wheels

cheeRS stu

Comment

My old 3dr used to catch on one side once you gave it large,I had 8x17 with a 35 offset and 235/40/17 tyres,you will find it catches on the one side mainly.
                          Maybe go to a 235/35/17 or a 215/40/17 tyre possibly.

Thanks.Lee.

Comment

I thought it was the other way round lol
                            When the car is up in the air the wheel is closer to the kit than when lowered down so I thought more the wheel went up in the arch the further it would move away.

I've got 17x8 et25 wheels with 235/40/17 tyres
                            As its semi trailing arm it has a pivot point infront of the wheels.

When you jack it up yes the wheels will sit closer to the kit as the arms are hanging down, when you lower the car back down to the ground the trailing arm will be about level with the pivot point so when your suspension goes up the arm will arch upwards and forwards on the pivot point hence bringing the wheels closer to the body kit.

I have cut my kit right back past the fitting clips etc so the arches are now bonded on.
                            I have 8.5x17 et35 wheels on the rear and can fit a 245.40.17 road tyre or 235.40.17 Toyo R888.

The offset of your wheel makes yours sit 10mm further out and by the pics your arches are uncut so only options you have are trim the kit, thinner tyres or raise the rear suspension..

Hope this helps
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gav Diamond View Post
                              As its semi trailing arm it has a pivot point infront of the wheels.

When you jack it up yes the wheels will sit closer to the kit as the arms are hanging down, when you lower the car back down to the ground the trailing arm will be about level with the pivot point so when your suspension goes up the arm will arch upwards and forwards on the pivot point hence bringing the wheels closer to the body kit.

I have cut my kit right back past the fitting clips etc so the arches are now bonded on.
                              I have 8.5x17 et35 wheels on the rear and can fit a 245.40.17 road tyre or 235.40.17 Toyo R888.

The offset of your wheel makes yours sit 10mm further out and by the pics your arches are uncut so only options you have are trim the kit, thinner tyres or raise the rear suspension..

Hope this helps
                              Thanks for the input guys
                              Forgot about this thread, the cars just been parked up since 😔
                              I understand now how the rear trailing arms work now, thanks
                              I want to keep the 235 tyres on as I still don't get alot of grip in 2nd.
                              My kit is trimmed back but only as far as the fixing screws so I'll cut the kit back further and roll the arches.
                              Only thing with cutting the kit back at the front it will leave a hole at the bottom I think?
                              Gav do you have any pictures of you kit where mine is catching?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X