small turbo misfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small turbo misfire

I've been having misfire problems for the last few weeks..on starting from cold it runs like its on 2 cylinders.. to start with,after 5 minutes of running it would clear and then drive fine.
    This morning I had it running for 20 minutes and it would not clear. It never stalls,just keeps chugging. I've changed the crank sensor,plugs,and coil packs and leads to no avail. Bloody annoying as its coming off the road at the end of September...when you try and rev it,the revs pick up but the rev counter won't go above 1000. Any ideas what to try next?

Originally posted by john trott View Post
    I've been having misfire problems for the last few weeks..on starting from cold it runs like its on 2 cylinders.. to start with,after 5 minutes of running it would clear and then drive fine.
    This morning I had it running for 20 minutes and it would not clear. It never stalls,just keeps chugging. I've changed the crank sensor,plugs,and coil packs and leads to no avail. Bloody annoying as its coming off the road at the end of September...when you try and rev it,the revs pick up but the rev counter won't go above 1000. Any ideas what to try next?
    have you checked the headgasket as when its sat up overnight ect water can seep into the cylinders and cause a misfire as its putting out the flames so to speke
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cossimc View Post
      have you checked the headgasket as when its sat up overnight ect water can seep into the cylinders and cause a misfire as its putting out the flames so to speke
      Don't think it could be that mate,mark barber fitted a new head gasket for me just over a year ago..

Comment

Run it up and pull the injector leads off the injectors one by one and see if that makes a difference.

Scouse

Comment

New set of plugs
          sigpic
          MAD tuned, DP engine, 530 bhp 480 lbft, autronics, anti lag, EFR 7670,

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse View Post
            Run it up and pull the injector leads off the injectors one by one and see if that makes a difference.

Scouse
            Ok,what am I looking for when doing this??

Comment

Originally posted by Cossie col View Post
              New set of plugs
              Brand new pp8's fitted a month ago mate,don't think it could be them..

Comment

Ok,what am I looking for when doing this??
                If it changes note or cuts out it could be a bad injector/s, hence running bad.

Scouse.

Comment

Update,I've just been up to the car,and while it was running I pulled off 1 injector connector at a time.
                  As you look in the bay,the centre 2 when pulled off made the engine want to cut out,but the outer 2 when pulled off made no difference. Does this mean I only have 2 operational injectors???

Comment

If its only running on 2 then how about a coil,pack not connected correctly as they control 2. If you changed plugs check they are making good contact also check the tip on the top of plug is tight. All you are proving by disconnecting injectors is which cylinders are firing which could help with coil pack plug etc to look at
                    sigpic
                    MAD tuned, DP engine, 530 bhp 480 lbft, autronics, anti lag, EFR 7670,

Comment

Originally posted by Cossie col View Post
                      If its only running on 2 then how about a coil,pack not connected correctly as they control 2. If you changed plugs check they are making good contact also check the tip on the top of plug is tight. All you are proving by disconnecting injectors is which cylinders are firing which could help with coil pack plug etc to look at
                      99% certain its not the coil packs as I've just bought another pair from jano (oddkidd) to test and they made no difference...

Comment

Don't think it could be that mate,mark barber fitted a new head gasket for me just over a year ago..
                        happy days
                        sigpic

Comment

Just been tinkering again,still no different. I did try something else though,I removed one of the electrical plugs from one of the coil packs and started it and it was the same,chugging on 2 cylinders. Then I took that plug off and plugged the other in and it wouldn't start. So then to prove a point I took the same plug off and plugged it into the other coil pack and it still wouldn't start... Couldn't try the one that worked on the other pack as it won't reach.. got to do a continuity test on the wires tomorrow to see if it has power. Is there anything else other than a break in the cable which would cut the power to the coil pack??

Comment

have a look and see if the connectors in the loom plug are nice and tight, if they have been on and off sometimes they open up and dont make a good contact

Comment

Working...
                            X