Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whose using standard front diff with strengthening plate

Standard front diffs with strengthening plates

How are you getting on with it if you are? What power are you running?

I can't currently afford an R&D front diff so I'm gonna see how I get on with a bog standard diff with just new bearings and seals and a strengening plate with M8 studs

Thanks
    Marc

Originally posted by M K View Post
    Standard front diffs with strengthening plates

How are you getting on with it if you are? What power are you running?

I can't currently afford an R&D front diff so I'm gonna see how I get on with a bog standard diff with just new bearings and seals and a strengening plate with M8 studs

Thanks
    Marc
    Ive asked the same question no so long back and the consensus is that for road use they will take 550 bhp. Its what I will be running with the strengthener plate.

I know for a fact prolonged abuse ( my rally car) 34mm restrictor fitted so 330 ota hp, then the teeth start to crack on the crown wheel. Eventually it will rip apart screwing up both the CWP and diff.
    Apparently the plate helps reduce the diff casing flex causing cwp misalignment.
    sigpic

Sunnyside B&B and camper restorations
    www.sunnysidebb.co.uk

Comment

Your cas is going to be fairly light so that will help, plus there that cheap now I would give it a go

Your friends with Mk I would try and get him to fabricate a diff casing so that you can use the rear 7.5 cwp on the front. I've been thinking about it for a while after I read some of the swedes use a rear diff flipped upside down on the front.

Comment

my only race car is only 360 bhp but I start every race with a full bore 5k launch and so far with just a strengthening plate it's been fine.

steve

NSSCC 2016 Class B1 Champion
        Mondeo 2.2 Titanium X sport daily driver, xr4x4 cosworth race car
        Matt lewis motorsport supporting my racing in 2016
        Reyland built, mapped by motorsport developments 455BHP
        http://www.mattlewismotorsport.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by cosmagedon View Post
          Your cas is going to be fairly light so that will help, plus there that cheap now I would give it a go

Your friends with Mk I would try and get him to fabricate a diff casing so that you can use the rear 7.5 cwp on the front. I've been thinking about it for a while after I read some of the swedes use a rear diff flipped upside down on the front.
          How does that fit
          sigpic

www.sunnysidebb.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnysidebb View Post
            How does that fit
            I havent seen any pictures but only read about it. Anything is possible though

Comment

Originally posted by cosmagedon View Post
              I havent seen any pictures but only read about it. Anything is possible though
              True.
              sigpic

www.sunnysidebb.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnysidebb View Post
                True.
                I've tried doing a search and cant find much info, dont know where the hell I read it

But apparently AG had a car in with a flipped 7" rear diff on the front.

I still think a custom front diff casing with rear internals would be a good seller

Comment

I've said before and will continue to say fuck spending thousands on a big diff I've seen thembreak too! I'll keep my std front with plate and if it breaks out another in for £30! I'm 550+hp

Comment

I'm going see how it goes as said there so cheap there's nothing to lose as long as you don't shear the pinion and smash everything to bits around it lol

The car should be a little lighter but not a great deal, but it will be used hard so time will tell I spose

Thanks guys
                    Marc

Comment

I'm running 500+ and when I launched the car the weakest point was the main shaft in the gearbox and I'm running a plate on standard diff I was hoping the front and rear duffs were going to be the weak point but you live and learn

OH FUCK WHAT WAS THAT NOISE

Comment

me in the nail van all it gets is launched and its fine
                        sigpic

1/4 mile 9.52 @ 146mph so far

Comment

Is it best to go with m8 bolts or longer m6 bolts

Wouldn't m8 bolts weaken the casing by removing too much material
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm on the STD ( but longer) m6 bolts, I think Wenny drills his out to m8

Steve
                            Last edited by the youth; 24-11-2012, 16:01:01.

NSSCC 2016 Class B1 Champion
                            Mondeo 2.2 Titanium X sport daily driver, xr4x4 cosworth race car
                            Matt lewis motorsport supporting my racing in 2016
                            Reyland built, mapped by motorsport developments 455BHP
                            http://www.mattlewismotorsport.co.uk/

Comment

I'm on longer m6 bolts and plate. Been fine with 450bhp launches and donuts

The only crap about it though is that it's an open diff. I'd prefer an lsd or atb at the front for track driving.

Comment

Working...
                              X