Changing the fuse box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the fuse box

When you guys changed your fuse box, did the standard ford immobiliser come on when you plugged the battery back in?

Does the immobiliser cut power to the starter and fuel pump even if I am running a fraser fuel pump loom?

Any quick ways of by passing the immobiliser... PM please.

I get everything except starter and fuel pump... I have taken the door cards off and tried all ways with the immobiliser part that straps around the door lock.

I have put the old fuse box back in and it does the same as the new one...

Mark Barber is sending me some relays to test etc as I have nothing plugged into the fuel pump relay on the fuse box but have a cable that runs into one of the terminals near by, I think this is going to the fuel pump loom in the passanger footwell.

Just looking for things to try before I throw the towel in and give the car to Mark with a open cheque to get it going again.

Cheers

Mark

Have you tried putting the old fuse box back in and making sure everything works?
    Are the fuse box part numbers exactly the same?

When I changed mine everything worked apart from the voltmeter, which needed an extra relay putting in.

FletchCossie Sponsors Motoring On Dave

Comment

Originally posted by mboon View Post
      When you guys changed your fuse box, did the standard ford immobiliser come on when you plugged the battery back in?

Does the immobiliser cut power to the starter and fuel pump even if I am running a fraser fuel pump loom?

Any quick ways of by passing the immobiliser... PM please.

I get everything except starter and fuel pump... I have taken the door cards off and tried all ways with the immobiliser part that straps around the door lock.

I have put the old fuse box back in and it does the same as the new one...

Mark Barber is sending me some relays to test etc as I have nothing plugged into the fuel pump relay on the fuse box but have a cable that runs into one of the terminals near by, I think this is going to the fuel pump loom in the passanger footwell.

Just looking for things to try before I throw the towel in and give the car to Mark with a open cheque to get it going again.

Cheers

Mark
      I went over how to test the pump and starter will actually work on one of your other posts.
      BUT
      If you bridge pin 30 and 87 on the fuel pump relay connections on the fuse box, that will put 12v directly to the inertia switch via Fuse F5 and then to the pump.
      The 12v comes from the battery via M6 30-1 through the fuse box direct to pin 30 of the relay . So if you have 12v at pin 30 bridging it across to pin 87 is doing away with the fuel pump relay and any immobiliser circuits. the pump power then goes through fuse \f5 then into and out of the inertial switch and hence have 12v direct t the pump.
      If you dont have this there is a break in the wires some where between the fuse box and pump or blown Fuse F5. The other alternative is an aftermarket fuel pump immobiliser has been fitted some where in between.
      So jump 12 volts directly to the out side of the inertia switch , if the pump runs you know that either the immobiliser is between the fuse box and the inertial switch or the wiring fault is also in the area. Either way.
      sigpic

Sunnyside B&B and camper restorations
      www.sunnysidebb.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by FletchCossie View Post
        Have you tried putting the old fuse box back in and making sure everything works?
        Are the fuse box part numbers exactly the same?

When I changed mine everything worked apart from the voltmeter, which needed an extra relay putting in.
        Hello mate,

Old fuse box is currently back in, just how it came out and I get no fuel pump and no starter tick like I do with the new fuse box.

Fuse box are identical, all numbers are the same, only difference is the build dates, mine orginal was a 94 and this one going in is a 09... brand new never fitted straight off the shelf.

ta

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnysidebb View Post
          I went over how to test the pump and starter will actually work on one of your other posts.
          BUT
          If you bridge pin 30 and 87 on the fuel pump relay connections on the fuse box, that will put 12v directly to the inertia switch and then to the pump.
          The 12v comes from the battery via M6 30-1 through the fuse box direct to pin 30 of the relay . So if you have 12v at pin 30 bridging it across to pin 87 is doing away with the fuel pump relay and any immobiliser circuits. the pump power then goes through fuse \f5 then into and out of the inertial switch and hence have 12v direct t the pump.
          If you dont have this there is a break in the wires some where between the fuse box and pump. The other alternative is an aftermarket fuel pump immobiliser has been fitted some where in between.
          So jump 12 volts directly to the out side of the inertia switch , if the pump runs you know that either the immobiliser is between the fuse box and the inertial switch or the wiring fault is also in the area. Either way.
          Pin 30 and 87... is this on the fuse box? Or the Ecu? My car runs a L6 ECU from a saph as that is the engine it has, it also runs the engine loom from a saph if that makes any difference...

I am new to all this so sorry if I am asking silly questions

Where is the inertia switch? is this one of the two cables under the rear bumper?

Thanks for your help guys

Comment

Where is the inertia switch? Is this one of the two cables under the rear bumper?

No it's passenger side kick well plate just in front of the door where the ecu is , inertia switch black box with red switch floor level .

Comment

Pin 30 and 87... is this on the fuse box? Or the Ecu? My car runs a L6 ECU from a saph as that is the engine it has, it also runs the engine loom from a saph if that makes any difference...

I am new to all this so sorry if I am asking silly questions

Where is the inertia switch? is this one of the two cables under the rear bumper?

Thanks for your help guys
              Running a Saphire ecu loom would make a difference. a big difference and tbh make it easier.
              If your running the Saph loom you will have the Fuel pump relay and ECU power relay next to the ecu .....you should do . mt rally escos ran the P8 Saphire loom and the relays were together so yours should be.
              Just jump out the same pins on the fuel pump relay. Pins 30 & 87. ( standard relay power connections) and the pump should run. IIRC the fuel pump fuse is attached to the side of the relay. Just check that fuse.

How does the L6 loom get its power. Did some one run a jump lead from the fuse box? Or have they found a permanent live some where under the dash?

The fuel pump relay is switched on via the ECU which puts an earth return on pin 85. The supply to the switching part of the fuel pump relay pin 86 comes from the ECU power relay pin 87. The ecu power relay is also controlled by the ecu.

Its commonly these wires that some aftermarket immobilisers use as they are low current dont require extra relays.
              sigpic

www.sunnysidebb.co.uk

Comment

OK that sounds like what I have. I know my relay for the fuel pump loom which is a Fraser loom is in the passanger footwell near the ECU.

It looks like I have a cable going from that loom under the dash and into the fusebox plugged into one of the D slots near the fuel pump relay on the fuse box.

Comment

OK that sounds like what I have. I know my relay for the fuel pump loom which is a Fraser loom is in the passanger footwell near the ECU.

It looks like I have a cable going from that loom under the dash and into the fusebox plugged into one of the D slots near the fuel pump relay on the fuse box.
                  Is that getting power? Are the slots its using live?

(not quite as simple to fault find over the tinternet then but still
                  )
                  sigpic

www.sunnysidebb.co.uk

Comment

I love this kind of fault finding
                    "tune in next time when we see if power is getting to the fuse box. Can Mr Boon troubleshoot or will another problem appear?"

Next time on "What's Your Fault"

Scouse.

Comment

Hahaha, sorted. Going to put a write up in my journal ;-)

Comment

Watching this with interest. Just incase I ever have to change my fusebox.

Comment

Mark- phone me mate! Pm'd you my number over on cutters

Comment

Hello mate,

Old fuse box is currently back in, just how it came out and I get no fuel pump and no starter tick like I do with the new fuse box.

Fuse box are identical, all numbers are the same, only difference is the build dates, mine orginal was a 94 and this one going in is a 09... brand new never fitted straight off the shelf.

ta
                            So the car is not turning over?
                            Does all the lights come on the dash when key is turned?

Sounds stupid how much charge does the battery have?

FletchCossie Sponsors Motoring On Dave

Comment

Guys, just finished a update on my journal... All fixed and running again I did a little dance and everything!!!

Thanks for all your help guys

Matt, Will PM you now bud

Comment

Working...
                              X