big sumps how needed are they?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big sumps how needed are they?

a few friends of mine are planing a nurburg trip and have invited me to bring the cossie is it a must for a race sump? i wont be pushing the car to hard as its got a standard gearbox.. i really dont fancy changing it and i definatly dont like the idea of £100 worth of oil in my engine!!!

Instead, would you prefer the idea of £6k worth of engine suddenly becoming £100 worth of scrap metal .

Seriously you should be fine on your first trip, as your lack of knowledge will not allow you to push the car anywhere near the G-force required to warrant this expenditure at this stage.

However, if you get hooked on the place / trackdays, it is an IMPERATIVE for certain corners on certain tracks, due to the cornering G the car can develop when you know where you are going etc .
    Mike Rainbird

Click above - Sarcasm is just a free service I provide.

http://www.rsnorfolk.co.uk/

Nordschleife, there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right .

Comment

Good advice that as i was wondering the same thing myself. Was considering doing the odd track again but still a bit 'spooked' from the last one when my engine went pop!

Comment

sound advise from mikey again.

mines big wing and baffled but it doesnt take loads of oil bout 4 ltrs?
        sigpic

guns for show,knives for a pro

Comment

Harvey modded my sump mate..... about £160 for this iirc

RS500 8 injector T4 515 BHP
          Restored, Built and Setup by M.A.S Tuning
          The Never Ending Story......
          HERE

Comment

A decent modified sump is money well spent in every case, even on a road car if you know how to put it through corners or on track.

Comment

how much work is involved in removing the sump? it looks a nightmare!!

Comment

Originally posted by L8 ECU
                That cannot be right. Even the standard sump holds just over 4 litres (4.2 litres IIRC).
                Standard sump is 3.75 litres .

My big wing sump from Harvey holds 5.25 litres.

The price for these has gone up this year and is on my website .
                Mike Rainbird

Nordschleife, there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right .

Comment

I need a gated baffle me thinks.............
                  sigpic

Comment

mine still only takes 4lt to get it to half way
                    sigpic

guns for show,knives for a pro

Comment

Originally posted by dom123 View Post
                      how much work is involved in removing the sump? it looks a nightmare!!
                      It's a bit of a mission, best bet is to find a good second hand item and exchange that for welding up....the have an afternoon fitting it on some ramps.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Franco View Post
                        I need a gated baffle me thinks.............
                        Whatever you do, do NOT buy any cheap ones. It has to be a genuine Mountune one, as I have seen some cheap ebay ones fall apart with catastrophic results (as in saving £50 and then losing a complete engine (£10k!) .
                        Mike Rainbird

Comment

Working...
                        X