found the cause of my crap weekend racing at knockhill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• found the cause of my crap weekend racing at knockhill

I was racing with the NSSCC at knockhill sharing the weekend with superlap Scotland and time attack
    Had a very average qualifying on the reverse direction on Saturday as I kept getting the wrong gear at the hairpin as i'm still learning this dogbox and was in 3rd not 2nd doh!!
    started 13th on a mixed grid of all classes and got a great start to make up around 5 places by the first corner, anyway halfway round the first lap a vibration started that felt like a wheel was falling off!!
    struggled on to the end at cruising speed to get class points and tried in vain to find the cause, tugged at driveshafts, wheel bearing etc and could only think it was a diff or gearbox issue so put the car on the trailer for the rest of the weekend..

Today with the car on my 2 poster the cause was obvious when I grabbed hold of the osf driveshaft, why it felt ok at the track Ill never know but one of the tripod joints has broken apart and all the needle rollers have fell out

annoyingly I had a spare shaft with me at knockhill

Anyway its all fixed now ready for Donington a week on sunday

one good thing from knockhill tho was being invited into the commentary box to
    commentate on the NSSCC race, that was a great experience
    me commentating

Me on lap 1 of the race just before the shaft failed

steve
    Last edited by the youth; 27-05-2014, 23:30:07.

NSSCC 2016 Class B1 Champion
    Mondeo 2.2 Titanium X sport daily driver, xr4x4 cosworth race car
    Matt lewis motorsport supporting my racing in 2016
    Reyland built, mapped by motorsport developments 455BHP
    http://www.mattlewismotorsport.co.uk/
Working...
X