Spray painting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spray painting question

I’ll be putting my car back together soon, and want to spray some of the parts as they go back on.

I want to do this myself, but don’t know which paints to use, or best place to get them. I don’t want to use the aerosol cans from Halfords, as I already have a compressor and spray gun, although I’ve never used the spray gun.

The reason for this is to protect the metal to stop it from rusting, and not for cosmetic purposes.

Any pointers?

Cheers
    John

No body got any ideas or pointers?

Comment

I can't give you pointers on which paints to use but I will point out that powder coating is a VERY good way of getting things mint and stopping them rusting long term.... If you can find somewhere local that wont charge you much for a cash job then it could be an option you consider.

dan

Comment

if your painting yourself and not powder coating i would still shotblast where possible to get the shit off easier or chuck in the vinegar. then its smooth the metal up if rough from s/b and then etch primer and if your picky a nice flat and then satin black it all, on new or very clean metal you can just satin black and it looks good.
        my mates just done a resto on a rally car and his axle and prop and other black running gear came up like new,his wheels have been done the same and they look 99% concours too

Comment

John, I would recommend virtually all products and paints from Frost Restorations. I have used loads of their paints and they are first class..... especially the likes of Aluma Blast, Spray Gray and Underhood black.

I have also used their Ultra High Temp silver on some parts and that stuff is seriously good.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I'm busy doing the steering rack and ball joints on my Ford Explorer, and just want to coat the front swing arms and torsion bar to stop them from rusting further. Paul, I’ll be checking out Frost Restorations.

Thanks John

Comment

Working...
            X