X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x4 gearbox lets put it to bed

Guys

This topic really gets on my wick.

I all ways here this, any 4x4 over 350bhp the gearbox will give out but ive read peoples threads before and their cars have been well over 400bhp and been fine.

so whats the truth.

cheers si.

They will all break at some point.

Mark

Comment

It's how you drive it, say your running 450bhp and you drive it like nan it's going to be fine

But if you give it death 80% of the time it's going to pop

Comment

I think with the sort of mileage most of these cars do it will probably last for a fair while running the standard box unless your doing track days, flat out launches etc. As stated it will very much depend on how you drive your car. My own escos is running 400bhp plus and the box is fine in her but to be fair it doesn't do big mileage. I like to drive her on but I don't cut the shite out if it all the time. Also helps if the car is well serviced (transmission fluids etc changed regularly). If the box does finally give up it's just and excuse to build it bigger/ better/ faster than before.......

Comment

its the torque that kills boxes... and not everybody With 450bhp realy have 450bhp... seen several boxes give up around 350 yes... and offcourse depending on drivingstyle... the mt75box like most other roadboxes is way to weak when power and torque Levels is "high" and used
          www.sapphirerscosworth.com

Comment

its the torque that kills then not the HP, along with hard launches. CLose friend of mine has a saph 4x4 with 400lbft and 398Bhp, that has killed 2 boxes so far as the torque builds so quickly as it comes on boost - it goes like a chuffing missile though.

I had a 4x4 with 340 flywheel bhp, rebuilt box (gen german parts for rebuild) was starting to show signs again that all wasn't well when I sold it after around 8k miles.

Comment

The torque curve also has an impact on this.. late boost will be easier on the box..

Comment

Working...
              X