Boost leak!!! Effects and fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boost leak!!! Effects and fixes

I done a quick boost leak check on the car today and I found a couple of leaks

The one I had a feeling was gonna be there was around where the turbo compressor housing bolts to the core as shown here

I had a 90 bend welded to the comp housing after the engine dyno so this is a new issue, it's warped the housing and when I re fitted it I had to rub it down a bit to get it to seat properly so I knew the chances were it was gonna be an issue,

I may be able to get this re faced in a lathe to sort this but time will tell,

The second spot was from around the TPS where it seats on the theottle body shown here

I can't see there is anything that can be done about this 1 though? This has not been changed so this would of been present during mapping on the engine dyno

Any 1 else had this issue or will the tps 1 be minor and not really an issue?

I pressurised the system to 2 bar and it drops straight away!

Thanks
    Marc

I dont have air leak like you on tps but i have a minor on AS inlet plenum.....Leak on turbo comp housing you can rectify with putting silicon on o ring..did mine like that..

Comment

I wasn't sure of the temps seen on the comp housing side and if an o'ring would melt but seems it will be ok then

Comment

Originally posted by M K View Post
        I done a quick boost leak check on the car today and I found a couple of leaks

The one I had a feeling was gonna be there was around where the turbo compressor housing bolts to the core as shown here

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ps0w3pzpug.jpg

I had a 90 bend welded to the comp housing after the engine dyno so this is a new issue, it's warped the housing and when I re fitted it I had to rub it down a bit to get it to seat properly so I knew the chances were it was gonna be an issue,

I may be able to get this re faced in a lathe to sort this but time will tell,

The second spot was from around the TPS where it seats on the theottle body shown here

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...psf3qdyzmj.jpg

I can't see there is anything that can be done about this 1 though? This has not been changed so this would of been present during mapping on the engine dyno

Any 1 else had this issue or will the tps 1 be minor and not really an issue?

I pressurised the system to 2 bar and it drops straight away!

Thanks
        Marc
        Its going to drop straight away if you turn off the air. An air leak test is only used to determine if you have a split pipe, failed gaskets or IC leaks etc. You have to keep a constant pressure on the system then hunt for the leaks. You don't even have to use 2 bar normally 1 bar is sufficient to find a problem.
        The reason the pressure drops of instantly when you turn off the air is that there will always be air leaking past which ever inlet or exhaust valve isn't shut. Its only a cylinder leakage test that you monitor pressure drop but that's a completely different test all together.
        As to the TP sensor IIRC you can get new spindle seals.
        How much air is leaking from the Turbo Can you hear it.
        sigpic

Sunnyside B&B and camper restorations
        www.sunnysidebb.co.uk

Comment

Yeah you can hear it and I'd spray'd soapy water on it and it bubbles up all around,

So as said above I'm gonna get a high temp o'ring to seal or high temp "red RTV" sealer

Comment

This is how I tested but still doesn't hold on the gauge!

Am I doing something wrong?

Comment

...i cant see video...but what i did is that i blocked the turbo inlet pipe and i blowed slowly air in the vacuum pipe of the fuel regulator..also if you have vacuum pipe which goes to air filter also block it...as mentioned before 1 bar is more than enough to find leaks.....i am still fighting mine on plenum..good luck

Comment

click the picture for video mate, should work

Comment

That's not the proper way to do a boost leak test. You need to set the pressure regulator on the compressor to 1 bar. Don't bother using any more 1 bar is plenty. Keep the pressure valve open all the time and allow the 1 bar to pressurise the turbo. You cant to a proper one with a tyre pressure inflator. You can also start doing damage if you use too much pressure. Trying to regulate the pressure and keep it nice and constant while checking for leaks using that inflator is no good.
                  BTW any leak from the turbo is bad.

Frank
                  sigpic

www.sunnysidebb.co.uk

Comment

Is the rubber seal on the bottom of the tps.

Comment

Originally posted by oddkidd View Post
                      Is the rubber seal on the bottom of the tps.
                      I think the amount of air common from the turbo is a significant issue, looking back in the op's thread he mentions having welding done to the comp housing and he thought is was warped. I would say that's where his main issue will be. That and not rally doing good pressure test.
                      sigpic

www.sunnysidebb.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnysidebb View Post
                        That's not the proper way to do a boost leak test. You need to set the pressure regulator on the compressor to 1 bar. Don't bother using any more 1 bar is plenty. Keep the pressure valve open all the time and allow the 1 bar to pressurise the turbo. You cant to a proper one with a tyre pressure inflator. You can also start doing damage if you use too much pressure. Trying to regulate the pressure and keep it nice and constant while checking for leaks using that inflator is no good.
                        BTW any leak from the turbo is bad.

Frank
                        This is the way I test its easy to regulate the pressure on the compressor.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mark shead View Post
                          This is the way I test its easy to regulate the pressure on the compressor.

Mark
                          On the video Mark, it looks like the op is trying to regulate the pressure using the inflator as the gauge goes up to 40 psi iirc. My test set has a number of different hose blanks with a PCL male connectors and blanks.
                          The main point is if he is just using a tyre inflator to set maintain and control the air its wrong. I presume that's what you meant as well
                          sigpic

www.sunnysidebb.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnysidebb View Post
                            On the video Mark, it looks like the op is trying to regulate the pressure using the inflator as the gauge goes up to 40 psi iirc. My test set has a number of different hose blanks with a PCL male connectors and blanks.
                            The main point is if he is just using a tyre inflator to set maintain and control the air its wrong. I presume that's what you meant as well
                            Yes that what I meant, You cant test correctly the way that test was done.

Mark

Comment

doesnt matter which way you pressurise the system as you dont pressurize it too much..

Comment

Working...
                              X