Insurance Question - NCB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance Question - NCB

Hi Guys. Looking for a bit of advice on claiming on your insurance.

I had a bit of a mishap in my daily and scuffed the bumper and wing on someone's car. I wanted to settle without going down the route of the insurance but they have come back with a quote of IRO £500 and with the damage to my car the total will be just over £700.

I rang my insurance to see how many No Claims Bonus I would lose and TBH they were vague at the best and said I could potentially lose all my 11yrs NCB. My excess is £200

Do any of you have any experience with claiming and typically how did a small claim affect your insurance?

At the mo I'm really not sure what to do.
    sigpic

Well if your excess is £200 and your car is going to cost £200 to fix then you'll have to pay that out anyway one way or another so ignore that bit.

So in theory you'd have to find £500 to pay for the repairs to the other car. To lose 11 years no claims over £500 is a big thing. And even though it's only over £500 I'm thinking the insurance won't be interested in that next time you renew, just that you've made a claim, and that will put your premium up, and you won't have any no claims either.

I would check the no claims though, because I thought if you made a claim with that many years no claims you wouldn't lose all of it, you'd just go back a few years.

Difficult one, and if you decide to pay yourself you need to just make sure you're not being stuffed by the other people, because they'll probably try and ramp up the price so they get a bit of cash in their pocket out of it. I think if you're going down that route you need to get them to supply you with a breakdown of the costs.
    Cheers
    Trev.

Comment

if your no claims are protected then you will not lose them. You will have to check if they are with your insurance company

Comment

if you arent protected then id just pay up the cash,its a no brainer

Comment

Ive been onto my insurance company (Endsliegh) and tbh they are useless. I told them the rough price of the claim, I even told them it would be no more than £2000 (as prices would probably go up if insurance assessors were involved etc) and they still cant tell me how many years NCB I will lose.

If it were only 2 years then I would probably claim but if its all of it then its not worth it as its taken me 11 yrs to get them.

NCB is not protected btw
          sigpic

Comment

Insurance companies are a law unto to their own and even if you have protected bonus you will still get stuffed on renewal. You even need to notify them of non fault accidents and believe it or not that can also effect you, I had a windscreen replaced last year and that flagged up on the database and one insurance company tried to up the quote by £25, needless to say I told them to take a walk. I would try and do a cash deal if around £500 because you would need to always disclose the at fault accidents for the next 3 to 5 years when getting quotes

Comment

Yes that's the other factor having to declare the accident for the next 5 years.

LOL Insurance = Headache
              sigpic

Comment

Im almost certain the fact you have spoken to your insurance company about it will affect your policy already, they will have you down as having an accident now even though you haven't claimed or if it wasnt your fault it will be marked down next time you renew your poilcy as a risk, another way to get money from you.

Comment

Originally posted by stu View Post
                  Im almost certain the fact you have spoken to your insurance company about it will affect your policy already, they will have you down as having an accident now even though you haven't claimed or if it wasnt your fault it will be marked down next time you renew your poilcy as a risk, another way to get money from you.
                  Yep that's what happened to my Mrs, she and another lady bumped cars one leaving and one entering a parking space. She told her insurance that there might be a claim as both had small marks on bumpers but basically it was 50/50 and ours just polished out with t cut, she had phoned the insurance befor I had got home from work any way phoned them back and said that there was no claim to be made but the robbing scum put the insurance up next renewal even though we had protected no claims they said it wasn't a claim issue but she was seen as more of a risk ffs what's the point of protecting your no claims only to get stiffed from a different angle robbing twats and that's with no claim agghhh
                  sigpic
                  MAD tuned, DP engine, 530 bhp 480 lbft, autronics, anti lag, EFR 7670,

Comment

Originally posted by Cossie col View Post
                    Yep that's what happened to my Mrs, she and another lady bumped cars one leaving and one entering a parking space. She told her insurance that there might be a claim as both had small marks on bumpers but basically it was 50/50 and ours just polished out with t cut, she had phoned the insurance befor I had got home from work any way phoned them back and said that there was no claim to be made but the robbing scum put the insurance up next renewal even though we had protected no claims they said it wasn't a claim issue but she was seen as more of a risk ffs what's the point of protecting your no claims only to get stiffed from a different angle robbing twats and that's with no claim agghhh
                    Yep bend over cos either way they'll screw you

Comment

Originally posted by stu View Post
                      I was weary of this. They did say that I MUST report and accident but I didn't give them any info.

I have heard of this before though give them the date and reg no's etc and they log it as a claim.
                      sigpic

Comment

Just pay some one to fix the other car mate
                        sigpic

Built by my self dp motorsport 700.6bhp 520ftlb efr9180 2.4bar m.a.d mapped flat out is the only way

Comment

Working...
                        X