Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colour Coded Sidelights

Chaps,

Went into a local bodyshop earlier and asked how much they'd charge to colour code a spare set of sidelights I have (just for a change).

The guy didn't seem to understand what I was asking for and got a bit miffed about it saying "£40 radiant red with no laquer and no comebacks"...and with that last bit about the comebacks he seemed to be saying "it will fail the MOT if you spray the sidelights"...maybe that's why he was getting wound up...don't know..?

Anyway, is there anybody (MOT tester or anyone) who can confirm the legalities of this modification? Obviously the H4 bulbs in the headlights have 3 settings; dipped, main, full, right? Does that suffice without sidelights?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul

You would have to wire up different side lights as i believe it is a legal requirement for safety reasons (if your headlight bulb blows you have a sidelight that can be seen). If you have Morretts fitted they have a side light bulb in them so just wire that up to your side light feed. If your using standard headlights then i would say no you cannot do this without modifying them to add a sidelight.

Comment

Aslong as your sidelights dip and main beam are in the morrettes am sure you'll be fine

Comment

Ah right, I understand...yes, that little bulb that pokes inside the Morette lens is basically the sidelight.

At the moment this is not the case on my car. The Morette sidelight isn't wired to anything and my existing sidelights illuminate through the original sidelight lenses. I'm not taking them Morettes out again (had 'em in and out countless times) to wire them in so I'll leave it as is...

Cheers

Comment

I had them in my morrettes & had no trouble , post them over to me , £25 done ??

Comment

Mine are colour coded by busyboy and as above I just connected to sidelight up to the one in the morretes

Comment

Busyboy did mine too, been on the car 6+ years and never had any aggro come MOT time
              XYZ Fabrications
              Bespoke, custom and low batch quantity cnc profiling, engraving and fabriactions, 07917757695

Comment

Thanks chaps - yes, suppose there's no harm in getting them sprayed...they're spares after all...I'll just have to wire up the sidelights into the morettes when I can face taking them out again!

Busyboy, thanks for the offer - I'll drop you a pm

Comment

I was going to say i can do them to mate but id want £40 bring them to club night tonight
                  sigpic

Built by my self dp motorsport 700.6bhp 520ftlb efr9180 2.4bar m.a.d mapped flat out is the only way

Comment

Originally posted by PaulRSCos View Post
                    Thanks chaps - yes, suppose there's no harm in getting them sprayed...they're spares after all...I'll just have to wire up the sidelights into the morettes when I can face taking them out again!

Busyboy, thanks for the offer - I'll drop you a pm
                    No probs mate if you need me just get in touch if not no worries

Comment

Just done mine in mallard green bought a rattle can of mallard and lacquer and did them myself (not profesionsl ) but OZ my sidelights are in the morretes.

Comment

Thanks guys - I fancy the challenge of trying a rattle can first so I'll give that a go and if no luck I'll seek professional help!

Comment

Originally posted by PaulRSCos View Post
                          Thanks guys - I fancy the challenge of trying a rattle can first so I'll give that a go and if no luck I'll seek professional help!
                          Between buying the plastic primer , primer , flattening paper and colour in a can will cost you more than paying to get them done right

Also it makes it more work for painters to sort the job after people have been at them with aerosyls as all needs washed off

Comment

Working...
                          X