Paint Job (How Much)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Job (How Much)

So, the car resto is going quite well and started looking for a top end paint job, I have to date had a couple of quotes. This is for a top to toe paint job, car is black so it has to be perfect as it will show any blemishes.

1st quote is for 4K (recommended off M3 cutters)
    2nd quote is for 8-9k (from somebody i have used in the past and i know it will be perfect), but 8k on paint seems A LOT.

anybody had a similar job and what did/would you pay, all comments welcome

cheers Darren

If its a bare metal all over with all plastics, door edges etc using decent material then you'll be looking at over 4k. Mine cost 4k 6 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by sortedcossie View Post
      If its a bare metal all over with all plastics, door edges etc using decent material then you'll be looking at over 4k. Mine cost 4k 6 years ago.
      I take it you were happy with it, how has it held up, was it painted in 2 pack??

Comment

Yes I'm happy with it (My dad did the work), it now has a few stone chips and 6 years of cleaning/taking the cover on and off/general use means that it's not a perfect as it was. It's actually booked in for a light mop in a months time.

The engine bay wasn't painted and the underside wasn't touched either.

It was painted using waterbased materials, basecoat and lacquer.

Comment

Wow, really expensive quotes there.

Dave.

Comment

Everyone has their favourite painters, or knows a mate who 'can do a good job'. I'd go off recommendations and viewing examples of folks work. There are some good recommended places on here, Busyboy and Gibby get good feedback and there are others that I may have missed.

When mine was painted a mate of mine had a Mk2 golf bare metalled too, he paid less than 2k and 6 years later mine has held up better.

Comment

Originally posted by Davecos 4x4 View Post
              Wow, really expensive quotes there.
              I thought the 4k one was OK, but i did want 2 pack paint, but not sure if that the paint is still available or they are allowed to use it any more

Comment

you never use anythink else than 2k Paint. 4k is "cheap" if including vat and all, and 8k inc vat is not bad either if you know its good, and its a full respray With all parts off. I would rather use somebody that I know do Perfect work, then a "cheaper" Place and meaybe need to redo it after.

the Paint is much more expensive now then it was few years ago, on a full respray today on dayjob, we will quickly get to 1,5-2k just in materials, and then the time and other Equipment is the rest...
                www.sapphirerscosworth.com

Comment

Not all paint jobs are equal, a Rolls Royce won't come out of the factory with a paintjob like a Vauxhall ! Might look the same at a glance but there will be more going on you can't see so i'd be asking the £8k quote people to justify their quote by explaing what they'll be doing that others won't......if they can't convince you they're doing anything special then obviously walk away
                  Then again if you think their standards are very high try bargaining with them for a better price, no harm in trying as you obviously want he car to be the best it can be

Don't know the answer to this but i've always wondered with black why the can't use a black primer as stone chips on black look horrendous when the white primer shows through

Comment

£3.5k-£4k will be about the going rate I would think for very good paint job.

Watch out on the timescales too, some will give you a good price but it will be done around insurance work, touch ups etc so may not return for a year or two

Comment

Make sure it's with someone you trust,
                      Your car is worth a lot of money and it will bug you if not done right,
                      I'm a bit compulsive on my cars apearence and have waited patiently to have someone I trust do the job right first time, will be worth it if you get the right person.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe-Tait View Post
                        £3.5k-£4k will be about the going rate I would think for very good paint job.

Watch out on the timescales too, some will give you a good price but it will be done around insurance work, touch ups etc so may not return for a year or two
                        Could not wait 2 years, trying to get it back before the end of the year

Comment

I wondered the same. Mine needs paint... I don't know whether to go all out now or wait a bit. Bare metal is coming but with buying the car and the house... I can barely afford to look at it right now!

I wish I knew more about paint!
                          sigpic

Comment

8-9k seems paint prices must have went up with the value of cars a must take note lol

Comment

Had a price of 5k to paint my 500 which i thought was about rite.

for all my tuning needs i use Turbosystems 07587188434. ask for tony

Comment

Working...
                              X