Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and before i forget, the 2wd speedo cable and vss stuff

Comment

Dojj hes already running 2wd just hes got all the 4x4 stuff upfront bar the drive shafts.

I cant see a problem dom just fitting the 2wd sump and leaving your front hubs as they are, save the money

Comment

if he's already got a rwd set up and nothing going on at the front then just ditching the shafts and sump will sort his problems bar the speedo drive if he's still running it form the front wheels

Comment

the problem i have is investing in a big wing sump, i cant bring my self to have a 4x4 one modified as the drive shaft mount is butchered for my 2wd starter motor and cant ever be used as a 4x4 sump again so i would never be able to sell it on...

also i want to make my engine bay as simple as posible so it would be nice to have the 2wd sump as its simple...

but will the 2wd sump go on? with the 4x4 crossmember? can i still use the same 4x4 oil pump and pick up?

i also want rid of the 4x4 oil filter arm so i may have to go remote oil filter as the 2wd oil filter set up wont fit with the 4x4 engine arm its to close..

it would be a far cheaper option, all depends if the sump would fit i guess...

Comment

i can't see how the 2wd sump won't fit, seeing as the 4wd sump is bigger and there will be plenty of space underneath with the 4wd crossmember

Comment

Originally posted by dom123 View Post
              the problem i have is investing in a big wing sump, i cant bring my self to have a 4x4 one modified as the drive shaft mount is butchered for my 2wd starter motor and cant ever be used as a 4x4 sump again so i would never be able to sell it on...

also i want to make my engine bay as simple as posible so it would be nice to have the 2wd sump as its simple...

but will the 2wd sump go on? with the 4x4 crossmember? can i still use the same 4x4 oil pump and pick up?

i also want rid of the 4x4 oil filter arm so i may have to go remote oil filter as the 2wd oil filter set up wont fit with the 4x4 engine arm its to close..

it would be a far cheaper option, all depends if the sump would fit i guess...

Ello

Yes you can fit just the sump with a 4x4 crossmember.

No you can't fit a 2wd crossmember with 4x4 hubs (horrible bumpsteer)

and if you fit a 2wd engine crossmember you have to change the gearbox one too.

I've known people to just bolt the 2wd sump on a 4x4 std bottom end and be fine and others than need to grind a bit in the sump.

I've still got the orig abs on the car and it still works.

I know what you mean about the "look" of it as I have completely changed over the front end after fucking about with a bitsa conversion.

cheers
              *ORDER ONLINE ON OUR NEW WEBSITE*

www.rapidford.co.uk OR 01582 696 111 (10:00am-10:00pm)

Comment

thanks dan i pleased someone knows... i think i'm going to buy a big 2wd sump and a oil kit with oil cooler and oil filter relocation all as one kit. so i can ditch that big oil filter arm then at least it will be nice and tidy underneath...

i want it so i can change clutch cables with out even jacking it up!! roadside with no tools!!

one question i have for you mate is i bought my oil breather from you i cant remember but it drains to sump doesnt it?

do the 2wd sumps have that drain port?

Comment

Originally posted by dom123 View Post
                  thanks dan i pleased someone knows... i think i'm going to buy a big 2wd sump and a oil kit with oil cooler and oil filter relocation all as one kit. so i can ditch that big oil filter arm then at least it will be nice and tidy underneath...

i want it so i can change clutch cables with out even jacking it up!! roadside with no tools!!

one question i have for you mate is i bought my oil breather from you i cant remember but it drains to sump doesnt it?

do the 2wd sumps have that drain port?
                  It does drain to the sump but its on the block not the actual sump. If your getting a sump done I'd get a return put on it for the breather return and use the orig to breathe both sides when your going around bends.

I've swapped over to 2wd stuff 3 reasons 1 because the 4x4 crossmember cracks around the tca whereas 2wd is stronger cos its steel and 2 the 4x4 crossmember is big and you have to have the oil cooler and 3 the steering felt odd when it was 4x4 as I wanted it to be/feel like a 2wd.

Space is tight enough without trying to mount a external filter hoses etc, I'd sooner swap it all over and have proper simple. I've swapped mine to the twin belt setup as well.

Why do people have issues with clutch cables? I've had cossies for 10 years and I've had 1 snap as it was burnt and 1 with brother as it was old.

Back to the oil return subject people have argued about above below the oil line. I've had both on the same engine and find the engine breathes heavier with the return below the oil line. Next time I have the sump off I will have a fitting put on it at the front of the sump above the oil level and be able to swap over to measure the pressure.
                  *ORDER ONLINE ON OUR NEW WEBSITE*

www.rapidford.co.uk OR 01582 696 111 (10:00am-10:00pm)

Comment

as for the clutch cable its just pushed quite hard with a ap6 paddle clutch, ive done one cable all ready and ive only had the clutch 2months tops...

dan regarding the breather mines a 4 pipe system it breathes both sides of the block and returns to sump i think, so i dont understand what you mean mate.

Comment

have you considered getting the clutch hydraluic'd?

Comment

Working...
                      X