I shall Jim, but i've a table booked and i'm late,,,,,,,

Watch this space

Comment

Glad ya got through

FletchCossie Sponsors Motoring On Dave

Comment

Originally posted by jimcallear View Post
        go on julian tell all
        Not a great deal to tell really To clear up one thing first, if anyone wants to contact Pete Doughty do ring the number in Fletch's sig and if he is there he will answer - if he isn't there the call will go through to reception at which point don't do what i did and ask for DPE as Pete sold DPE a while back and they are still going but nothing to do with gears anymore, ask for Pete by name I guess these boxes should now be called Doughty boxes and not DPE.
        Pete is now retired and gets his income from a source outside engineering but the passion for it lives on hence he now has his own little cottage industry doing this gearing work for the love of it, which can only be a good thing

As has been said by Fletch, Pete has a kit that replaces just 2nd + 3rd with straight cut items - i don't know if this is available as i didn't ask as it doesn't interest me
        He also does the full straight cut kit which i assume is what Paul & Duncan have in their cars I think he said these are out of stock at the moment but anyone interested could check on that - he did say this kit is basically the same as the Bara and that in fact the Bara design was............. erm........ 'BORROWED' from Pete's design The ratio's on this kit are 'Crap' - Pete's words not mine I guess it seemed a good idea at the time

The kit that interests me is the new one with revised ratio's taken from the 2wd Cossie box All the drawing room work is done for this and is just waiting to go to production.......... 3 kits will be produced initially, one is allocated to a race car somewhere the second is available to Fletch if he wants it and the third now has my name on it should i decide to take up the option on it I've obviously stated my interest in this.
        Pete will be wanting feedback from the first 3 kits to highlight any possible problems and area's maybe needing improvement, though he is confident that all will be well and then more kits can be rolled out to suit demand

I'm quite optimistic that this will be the way forward for me and i'm to call back after xmas when hopefully things will have moved a little closer to fruition

Just to add, Pete also does 5 & 6 speed dog boxes - but i must resist the temptation to go this route again despite the fun of it It'll only end in again.

It's a shame the kit i want is not available now as i'm a bit of an 'i want it now' sort of person but at least waiting until new year stops me spending money i don't have

Hope this helps

Comment

Forgot to add - prices for the new kit are not firm yet - but he'd like it to go to market sub £3k, which i guess makes it a good competitor to Fixit..........

Comment

Is the kit with revised ratio's fully straight cut Julian?

Comment

I wish I hadn't got mine yet!

Struggling to find 400BHP!
              RSOC Member No 36516
              Andrew "Frank" Spencer

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                Is the kit with revised ratio's fully straight cut Julian?
                Yes, i believe so

Comment

Originally posted by cossie916 View Post
                  I wish I hadn't got mine yet!
                  I expect you got a good price on yours though Andrew and is essentially very similar to what P.Doughty is developing......... or is there an issue with your Fixit ?

Comment

.....thank you very much for the movement that has done ...... watch this team and see if I want one, but still not clear to me lot .... but next year is my best
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by spiritof'76 View Post
                      The ratio's on this kit are 'Crap' - Pete's words not mine I guess it seemed a good idea at the time
                      I've been saying this FOREVER and no-one would listen . The standard Ford ratios are SHIT - there is too big a speed disparity between them, so that the syncros have a hard time keeping up. This is why gearkits with these ratios are ALWAYS fucking up the syncros .

The Fixit ratios go a long way to helping this (and so will using the 2wd ones), so I am 100% behind this.
                      Mike Rainbird

Click above - Sarcasm is just a free service I provide.

http://www.rsnorfolk.co.uk/

Nordschleife, there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right .

Comment

I was listening This is why i didn't rush headlong into a Bara - although i was tempted - i'm not dissing the Bara as many have it and are happy with so can't be all bad In fact for strength it's the kit to have it seems, reliability counts for a great deal when you don't have race team budgets
                        If the Doughty combines that strength with decent ratio's then it's got to be a winner

Just as a side note Pete said he's run a Quaiffe in his time also - he wasn't too polite about that either as it failed on him Said the design was essentially very good but their heat treatments were all out of whack...............

Comment

Good post mate

the new gear kit will help with faster 1/4 miles due to longer gearing, so can't wait for it to test ) will be able to fit a quick shift without worrying too much about syncro's, so another big bonus )

FletchCossie Sponsors Motoring On Dave

Comment

Thanks for steering me in his direction

Pete seems like a top bloke his motivation seems to be a passion for engineering rather than the profit of the bottom line very refreshing in these times.......

Comment

Originally posted by spiritof'76 View Post
                              Just as a side note Pete said he's run a Quaiffe in his time also - he wasn't too polite about that either as it failed on him Said the design was essentially very good but their heat treatments were all out of whack...............
                              I've also been saying this FOREVER as well . In fact, even thought I sell Quaife stuff, I flatly refuse to sell these on that basis......

I think I want Pete's babies !
                              Mike Rainbird

Click above - Sarcasm is just a free service I provide.

http://www.rsnorfolk.co.uk/

Nordschleife, there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right .

Comment

so while we are on the subject of gearboxes......

What actually is it that kills 3rd gear once you get above 350lbft???

Is it shock loading on gear changes into third or the pure torque in gear????

And how can you preserve 3rd without just skipping from 2nd to 4th all the time

Medically Discharged!! Officially insane!!!
                                My toy!! Pic 1 Pic 2 Pic 3 Pic 4

Comment

Working...
                                X