What tyres?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tyres?

Im looking to buy a new full set of tyres soon for my Escos.. going to running over 600bhp.. My Eagle F1's are still mint all round, and found these a great tyre but they sometimes caused my car to tramp at pod from the launch and in second gear..

The car will mainly be used on the road, and the odd 1/4 run at santa pod.. I will not ever use my Escos on track..

Would people sudgest toya R888 or a good set of Michellin Pilots?

Cheers
    Mike
    Last edited by turbomook; 17-04-2012, 07:07:57.
    11.6 @ 121 MPH

I've got Pilot sport 2's and they have loads more grip then the Eagle F1's, and I really rate them! I've also got a set of R888's but not tried them yet.

Comment

cheers mate, ive heard pilots are awesome road tyres..

anyone got any info about R888 as road tyres?
      11.6 @ 121 MPH

Comment

Your not going to go on track!!!

Fuck 1/4 mile, tracks were its at mook!!!

Comment

Originally posted by turbomook View Post
          cheers mate, ive heard pilots are awesome road tyres..

anyone got any info about R888 as road tyres?
          R888 perfect if its dry, but stay away from the loud pedal if It's wet.

Or safer still, with 600bhp if It's wet stay at home.

Comment

Originally posted by AJC View Post
            Your not going to go on track!!!

Fuck 1/4 mile, tracks were its at mook!!!
            I can use the focus for the track mate

Originally posted by cosmo View Post
            R888 perfect if its dry, but stay away from the loud pedal if It's wet.

Or safer still, with 600bhp if It's wet stay at home.
            hahaha, cheers for the advice.. think i might just go with some pilot sports then, as it will be used on the road more than anything else.
            11.6 @ 121 MPH

Comment

I purchased a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport 3's recently,haven't really driven the car properly since,but I hope they are gonna be awesome.

Thanks.Lee.

Comment

It wouldn't have been the tyres causing the tramp, it would be more likely to have been the rear diff mount...

If you now have 600bhp, then you need a REALLY strong gearbox / diffs to do the quarter with, and if this is your bag, then forget road / track oriented tyres, they won't warm up quick enough to offer the required grip. You want a set of Mickey Thompson drag tyres:
                http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s...StreetRadialII
                Mike Rainbird

Click above - Sarcasm is just a free service I provide.

http://www.rsnorfolk.co.uk/

Nordschleife, there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right .

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Rainbird View Post
                  It wouldn't have been the tyres causing the tramp, it would be more likely to have been the rear diff mount...

If you now have 600bhp, then you need a REALLY strong gearbox / diffs to do the quarter with, and if this is your bag, then forget road / track oriented tyres, they won't warm up quick enough to offer the required grip. You want a set of Mickey Thompson drag tyres:
                  http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s...StreetRadialII

Cheers for the info Mike.. i run a quaife box and quaife front and rear diffs. Also have a poly busy diff mount fitted. I was told at the time it will of been the tyres causing it to tramp at times. I do plan on changing the box to a bara box. I just need to pay for it and go pick it up from Jon

Ive just managed to get 2 x Michellin Pilot Sport 3 tyres 245/40/18 brand new for £250. So going to try these for now.
                  11.6 @ 121 MPH

Comment

fullway tyres are the way forward my friend!....
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1374lee View Post
                      I purchased a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport 3's recently,haven't really driven the car properly since,but I hope they are gonna be awesome.

Thanks.Lee.
                      Fitted a set of these before Xmas, great tyres... would recommend the Pilot 2 or 3's

Xbox Live:AdamRSCosworth

Comment

Cheers for the info Mike.. i run a quaife box and quaife front and rear diffs. Also have a poly busy diff mount fitted. I was told at the time it will of been the tyres causing it to tramp at times. I do plan on changing the box to a bara box. I just need to pay for it and go pick it up from Jon

Ive just managed to get 2 x Michellin Pilot Sport 3 tyres 245/40/18 brand new for £250. So going to try these for now.
                        Neither of those gearboxes / diffs are up to the riggors of launching a 600bhp car - I hope you have deep pockets, as you will be forever breaking them .

Experiment with dropping the rear tyre pressures then if you're still getting tramp with a poly diff mount.
                        Mike Rainbird

Click above - Sarcasm is just a free service I provide.

http://www.rsnorfolk.co.uk/

Nordschleife, there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right .

Comment

Just what I didn't want to hear
                          11.6 @ 121 MPH

Comment

I had a trial fit of that size and it didn't work tyre locked up against the arch liner before even getting to full lock

Pilot Sport 3 is a good tyre but slightly more aimed at bigger high performance cars as it gives a bit more comfort.......... the PS2 is the tyre for outright performance with the downside being a bit more road noise and slight drop off in the wet but those are not things you should be worrying about

Comment

Originally posted by spiritof'76 View Post
                              I had a trial fit of that size and it didn't work tyre locked up against the arch liner before even getting to full lock

Pilot Sport 3 is a good tyre but slightly more aimed at bigger high performance cars as it gives a bit more comfort.......... the PS2 is the tyre for outright performance with the downside being a bit more road noise and slight drop off in the wet but those are not things you should be worrying about

What wheels did you have when you tryed the 245 tyre mate? I have 235 tyres fitted at the min and my wheels are comps with a ET18 offset an they don't scrubb at the min? Do you think the 245 tyre will be too wide?
                              11.6 @ 121 MPH

Comment

Working...
                              X