Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improving gear change

Hi all,

Quick question I hope might be able to help with. I'm constantly disappointed by the vagueness of the gear change in the EsCos.

What's the best way to improve the gear change? I'm trying to get like a Porsche 997, I appreciate not all things are possible!

Thanks

S

Quickshift knuckle is a popular mod. Not the B&M quickshift though which in my experience ruined the drive of my car, couldn't wait to get rid of it if I'm honest.

A cheaper option is to replace the gear lever cradle bushes with solid ally ones, it doesn't take as much slop out of the system as the knuckle replacement but it's a damn sight better than the horrid std effort
    XYZ Fabrications
    Bespoke, custom and low batch quantity cnc profiling, engraving and fabriactions, 07917757695

Comment

I hated my gear change when I first drive the car, now had new cradle bushes fitted and a short shift knuckle from r&b Motorsport and it's spot on

Comment

Thanks guys that really interesting. Fit it with the hydraulic clutch and I should have something passable?

I had images of new gearboxes!

Comment

Yes hated myne so much, was like casting a fishing rod
          Also had the hydro clutch fitted and it drives great

Comment

Hi,what does it entail to replace to a quick shift knuckle and the cost, best place to purchase etc.

Comment

a refurbished cradle and knuckle is an improvement, but as said that combined with a decent short shift is a bout as good as you'll get it.

Comment

Sure the best short shift knuckle is from Mike Rainbird, randbmotorsport
                sigpic
                MAD tuned, DP engine, 530 bhp 480 lbft, autronics, anti lag, EFR 7670,

Comment

I must be lucky, in that I've never found fault with mine, though I have had a quickshift lever fitted since 1995 (Not sure if it's a genuine Ford one, but came in a Ford packet.) Came from Hoopers of Bristol if my memory serves me well (though it was a long time ago!)

I've always found the change not at all sloppy, though a tad notchy, and truly fast changes are not possible ever.
                  Jim

Comment

I had a knuckle and I didn't get on with it tbf... I found just changing the mounts to alloy helped...

Comment

I think some of the after market knuckles are too short and make the gear change horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Le Moignan View Post
                        I think some of the after market knuckles are too short and make the gear change horrible.
                        That's exactly the problem, mine is brilliant as its not to short so feels perfect
                        sigpic
                        MAD tuned, DP engine, 530 bhp 480 lbft, autronics, anti lag, EFR 7670,

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

Where do I get the alloy mounts from?

Cheers

Comment

I have a B&M and it's great, I've poly bushed the cradle too and those 2 things have really helped me.

Comment

Originally posted by Cossie col View Post
                              That's exactly the problem, mine is brilliant as its not to short so feels perfect
                              Col mines was from Mike and Ilthe shift. Wasn't good. Tbf

Comment

Working...
                              X