suspension people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cossymad View Post
    The collar you refer to is suposed to be a few mm above the hub carrire. You should not elongate the hole!!

Any proof for saying this Chris?
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Rainbird View Post
      It will lower it to the point that it should be, as they should SHOULD be flush with the hub, as per the photos showing this on this thread .
      Is that 100% as cossy mads says the oppersite???

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by bigpower View Post
        Any proof for saying this Chris?
        Originally posted by bigpower View Post
        Is that 100% as cossy mads says the oppersite???

Common sense tells me that the weight of the car should be on the swaged collar and not the pinch bolt

Comment

• The more i bloody read the more im confussed

Dont want to do it tomorrow and find ive done wrong but in my head i think so too

Ive mailed Ahmed to ask for his opinion as his springs are made to mate with Konis....

Mike, you didnt fully commit today ( saying be carefull what you take out etc ), is theyre any reason for that? As you say above they SHOULD sit in the hub fully to the shoulder?
          sigpic

Comment

• they look well high karl,maybe they just welded the tabs on too low down

Comment

• Originally posted by cosmo View Post
              Common sense tells me that the weight of the car should be on the swaged collar and not the pinch bolt
              you can see the difference in width at the shoulder before the shocker narrors again, so im guessing thats where the strength is if it sits with the shoulder higher, then im guessing its straining on a narrow/weaker part that should be passed the hub, hence kinking them if cornering hard/ backroad driving etc

Im no mechanic but minds fooked
              Last edited by bigpower; 22-11-2012, 07:51:13.
              sigpic

Comment

• Take out as much as is needed to get the strut to sit on the SHOULDER

Comment

• look forward to some knowledgable peoples opinions today before i get elongating
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by bigpower View Post
                    look forward to some knowledgable peoples opinions today before i get elongating
                    I've been an engineer for 33 years with I'd say 27 years of that working for the automotive market, so I guess it rules of out.

Comment

• Originally posted by cosmo View Post
                      Take out as much as is needed to get the strut to sit on the SHOULDER
                      I'm with you Paul

Originally posted by bigpower View Post
                      look forward to some knowledgable peoples opinions today before i get elongating

A little unfair Karl, Paul has more engineering knowledge than most of us on this site put together

Or are you just after opinions from internet experts?
                      XYZ Fabrications
                      Bespoke, custom and low batch quantity cnc profiling, engraving and fabriactions, 07917757695

Comment

• Originally posted by The Radman View Post
                        yours is better kenny lol
                        Originally posted by cosmo View Post
                        I've been an engineer for 33 years with I'd say 27 years of that working for the automotive market, so I guess it rules of out.

Ahmed said yes you can elongate to make the car lower but leave about 5mm above the cv boot. I didn't get a definate of yes it should sit upto the shoulder or no the should sit above

What did you take out? Looking at my pics with the measure, I'm thinking 8mm so it just sits on it?? When I took the pinch bolt out it went into the hub , more like 12mm.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Monster View Post
                          I'm with you Paul

A little unfair Karl, Paul has more engineering knowledge than most of us on this site put together

Or are you just after opinions from internet experts?

Dave, I didn't have a clue what Paul did for a living!

Paul, sorry pal, I didn't mean anything from thAt!
                          sigpic

Comment

• AFAIR the welded collar that sits a few mm above the hub is there to stop the shock punching down through the hub should the bolt break. By allowing a few mm grace, should the bolt break the shock will only move that far down IF there is an issue, and you'll know about it i.e if it happened on track running a kerb for example.
                            Having the shock already restining or sitting on the hub puts unnecessary load on the top and not as it should be squeezed together and held in place.
                            I am looking for a picture to show this but photobucket is playing up :'(

I doubt it will make any difference overall, if it were me I would do it if I needed to, but as I have coil-overs, I don't.

You could modify spring cups or top mounts too, just get a geo check done afterwards.
                            phone > 07969 182540

Comment

• Chris I'm not doing it just for the sake of lowering the car. Yes I feel it sits abit higher than I thought it would but the more I've been reading into this, I want to do what's correct. Some say how it is , is the way it should be and some say sat on the collar is the right way???

I tried asking Ahmed what he thought as if he said sat flush, then obviously his spring drops would be from there but he stayed on the fence?? So I'm non the wiser ......

Very interesting but bloody confusing lol
                              sigpic

Comment

• The reason I am being cautious is that Koni refused to comment one way or the other . With the location bolt where it is, they seem too high and with the pinch bolt removed, they seem too low to me, so I'd do them about half way.
                                Mike Rainbird

Click above - Sarcasm is just a free service I provide.

http://www.rsnorfolk.co.uk/

Nordschleife, there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right .

Comment

Working...
                                X