Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turbo Dilema, editted: Solved Twin Scroll BW EFR 7670 it is then.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frank If ya want old school meets new what about a roller T4 or if ya have deep pockets then Twin scroll Borg Warners are where it's at
    sigpic
    MAD tuned, DP engine, 530 bhp 480 lbft, autronics, anti lag, EFR 7670,

Comment

Your not gonna prob use the borg warners as i dont thunk Harvey and Jimhave used them yet but if you go twin scroll and get a tturbo like mine or the s200 it comes on like my old t34... I wouldn't use anything else period after using this, the gt35 was terrible compared...

Comment

Originally posted by AJC View Post
        You having a full engine build too? Or is your current engine spec sufficient.

GT30 will spool like a 35 but newer models now which are probably better such as the gtx
        Having full rebuild, cams, headwork all the usual stuff that SCS does for the 540/550 engine .
        I dont mind the thought of a T4 but I want to know what else is out there.
        sigpic

Sunnyside B&B and camper restorations
        www.sunnysidebb.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Rainbird View Post
          Frank,
          To be honest, you're better off telling Jim / Harvey what you want to achieve and they can tell you the different power out puts they have achieved with the different turbos, otherwise you will just end up with anecdotal opinion .

I suspect that you will end up with something like the GTX3071, but will be limited to around 500ish bhp with that. The "T35" is all done in at 400bhp, so nowhere near what you want.

Hi Mike,
          Yes and No. If you ask a person what can they do they will do what they can do, but if ask a person can you do something different they have to think about the question. If you dont ask you never know.
          As much as my name means absolutely nothing these days, 25 years ago I was pushing the boundaries of GM engines, long before TT, Janspeed etc had the rep they got. Ive been asking hard and tech questions all my life and eventually got what I wanted or at least a compromise. My old Astra 1.8 GTE ended up with 330/350 bhp back in 1987 and took over 20K to finally developed the engine.
          Nine excellence now do a hybrid K16 Turbo for the 911 Turbo producing more flow than the larger K24 Turbos , directly because I questioned the world of Porsche K16 911 turbo fitment and with some discussions with a certain turbo builder we came up with a Hybrid K1639 & K1641 Turbo which is now commercially available only through 9E. So no I never just listen to tuners as they generally have a habit of becoming lazy sell what they know works at the time.
          I'm almost sure I will end up with a T4 , combined with a higher compression engine......absolutely fine if that's all that's available.
          sigpic

www.sunnysidebb.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by john savage View Post
            frank the old addage of turbo lag= wrong gear springs to mind! nowt wrong with the trusty T4 mate, Jimbob the bufty and Harvey will look after your needs and you wont be dissapointed
            Its been my addage as well, but ive got lazy driving the Porks with relatively small turbos. I'm sure I will get to grips with a T4 quickly.
            sigpic

www.sunnysidebb.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnysidebb View Post
              Having full rebuild, cams, headwork all the usual stuff that SCS does for the 540/550 engine .
              I dont mind the thought of a T4 but I want to know what else is out there.
              We did chat about this did you forget what I said,
              Twin Scroll BW EFR 7670 nothing else needs to be said, This is by far the best set up full stop but what do I know I have only done 7 of these this year.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by bigpower View Post
                You don't mess about do you!!

What you doing with box and diffs???
                As Georgie said Fix-it.
                I want to have another chat with Jim about the rear diff, Ive got a fully re-con 7 1/2 with shafts hanging arround so I might have a chat about this 6deg beam mod at the same time.
                sigpic

www.sunnysidebb.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Carlo View Post
                  No harm intended frank but must be a proper pain in the ass for tuners when they go over a spec with the customer then read on a forum later on that the customer is asking for turbo advice with everybody's 2p worth your back to square one

I agree with mike raise your concerns with scs see wha they can come up with im sure they will be able to sort it no bother
                  Hi Carlo, see the reply to Mike, but remember in the end no matter how good a tuner is, its your cash your spending so you have to make sure your absolutely happy with all aspects of the work.
                  A bit of advice.....If you dont do the work on your car your self , or like me this time with Jim you cant, treat the car as a project and your the project manager. Never let anyone just tell you some thing without questioning the work.
                  Jim's a big boy and if I though for one minute he would take the hump with me asking questions I wouldn't give him the car.
                  Its nothing personal to any tuner, just a project and if it can be impoved before the work starts ......thats even better as once your comitted that it.
                  sigpic

www.sunnysidebb.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Adamski View Post
                    Your not gonna prob use the borg warners as i dont thunk Harvey and Jimhave used them yet but if you go twin scroll and get a tturbo like mine or the s200 it comes on like my old t34... I wouldn't use anything else period after using this, the gt35 was terrible compared...
                    100% how everyone feels after they have what you have.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mark shead View Post
                      We did chat about this did you forget what I said,
                      Twin Scroll BW EFR 7670 nothing else needs to be said, This is by far the best set up full stop but what do I know I have only done 7 of these this year.

Mark
                      Thanks Mark, yes I remember now. but i'm fooked as to remember what they produce or even what manifold they run.
                      The whole Turbo choice thing came as a surprise as I didn't expect there to be so many. One time it was just T4's for power.
                      This is the reason for this post. IIRC by the time I's finished off the phone with you a while back I had a list of at least 2 turbos, poss 3 i'd never heard of.

I will chat with Jim about the Twin Scroll BW EFR 7670 see what he can do .
                      Thanks Mark at least I now have a hard copy of all the info in one place on here.
                      sigpic

www.sunnysidebb.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by SCS j1mbo View Post
                        At the end of the day guys it's no harm done frank having a look on the net and getting different opinions, we have had a chat but if frank wants to do something diff to the original idea then so be it

Ps we have tested some gtx turbos and wouldn't use them ourselves

I do beleive there are better turbos out there especially the latest twin scroll stuff but there is the cost of manifolds then and the bill soon creeps up lol!
                        No worries Jim , you know where I'm comming from
                        sigpic

www.sunnysidebb.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnysidebb View Post
                          Thanks Mark, yes I remember now. but i'm fooked as to remember what they produce or even what manifold they run.
                          The whole Turbo choice thing came as a surprise as I didn't expect there to be so many. One time it was just T4's for power.
                          This is the reason for this post. IIRC by the time I's finished off the phone with you a while back I had a list of at least 2 turbos, poss 3 i'd never heard of.

I will chat with Jim about the Twin Scroll BW EFR 7670 see what he can do .
                          Thanks Mark at least I now have a hard copy of all the info in one place on here.
                          if you go twin scroll mate you never go back and if harvey wont do it i think you using the wrong tuner coz you will never believe how different it is. Mark Sheid is your man as he uses modern tec rather than 20yrs ago
                          sigpic
                          Mapped by MAD 732.4 bhp 570 lbs torque
                          Swindon RSOC Chairman/RS Combe organiser

Comment

Originally posted by cossyking View Post
                            if you go twin scroll mate you never go back and if harvey wont do it i think you using the wrong tuner coz you will never believe how different it is. Mark Sheid is your man as he uses modern tec rather than 20yrs ago
                            I know.

But I sort of got my self in a Trixy position.

Mark , top bloke and has a great rep and SCS who I have known of for quite a long time and contacted firstly over 2 years ago.

Both can't do the work and I decided on Harvey. I'm committed on the workshop now as Jim is storing parts for me and sourcing bits. But if Mark is using a superior turbo this need to be investigated more.
                            sigpic

www.sunnysidebb.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by mark shead View Post
                              100% how everyone feels after they have what you have.

Mark
                              For mark Mad to say my car was quick that says somthing

Jim I'll pop up with my car and show you what a twin scroll
                              Is like if you want
                              sigpic

Built by my self dp motorsport 700.6bhp 520ftlb efr9180 2.4bar m.a.d mapped flat out is the only way

Comment

Guys can I just put something across, frank has asked to use a t4 and is now further investigating, we are happy to use this turbo as we have very good head and cam specs but with any tuning scene trying new things is going to keep you busy as people want new things. Scs have done quite a bit with twin scroll many years back (before I was even getting into them) but havnt had much of a market for them so development ceased. There are new turbos on the market and manifolds to suit but what you have to remember is the customers pocket, when you sit and say we can do this engine and package for 15k for example and it will do 'X' or we can do this package for 16.5k and it will do 'x' with 200rpm more response, you'd be surprised how many people would give up on the response!

The thing I like with frank is he's a technical guy (much more so than me in some cases!) and is now learning after being out of the scene for years that this have changed, and he's exploring away which is good, we can all learn from projects like this.

The engine isn't built but a basic spec and a few parts are together, so we may well end up down the later turbo route yet chaps

Comment

Working...
                                X